jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 11:12 PM

I'm FINALLY getting into the tranny for my original . I took the covers off, axles out, reduction housing off and when I went to tip back over there laid on the table 2 broken gear teeth and two ball bearings. Hmmmm I thought to myself along with a few choice words. :wallbanging: I looked the thing over good and see no teeth missing. All the balls appear to be in their correct bearing homes and besides from being a little rusty everything spins and shifts like I believe it should. Any ideas here? Did the PO replace a gear and bearing or 2 and not clean it out completely? Am I not seeing what I should see (well hidden broken gear teeth)? Do those balls belong somewhere else??? I almost feel that if I can't find where they go that I should just put them back in the housing as if removing them might take away some type of Cub Cadet manhood. Any help here from an experienced CC tranny expert would greatly be appreciated. I mean it. Greatly. Really.

#2 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 15, 2010 - 12:33 AM

Well I checked the service manual and saw that there are 2 balls that detain the shifter fork shafts. So...I pulled out one of the shafts and there's a ball there. The other side also "clicks" into gear confidently so I don't think that's where they belong. Here's my thinking: Previous owner needed to replace a gear with broken teeth. Took the thing apart and whoop! The springs shot the detaining balls straight up into the air where the casually fell right back into the case not to be seen again for years and years. "Drat!" The PO would say as he meandered his way to his local IH fix-it shop for replacement balls and a new gear. What are the chances I am right here? Or...just where did those broken teeth and extra balls come from?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2010 - 04:46 AM

It does sound like you may have just found some stuff the one of the previous owners never got completely cleaned out. If everything spins like it should and goes into gear like it should I am hoping that you will be alright.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 15, 2010 - 08:17 AM

It does sound like you may have just found some stuff the one of the previous owners never got completely cleaned out. If everything spins like it should and goes into gear like it should I am hoping that you will be alright.

I agree. If It seems as if everything is in place like you say then that could have very well happned.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 17, 2010 - 04:58 PM

While you're in there, find a place for a magnet to catch any other bits that may have been left from before, or bits that may come loose in the future. If not much open space for a magnet, place one on the outside. It'll still catch stuff on the inside. You'd be surprised how much a small magnet can catch & hold, especially a small "rare earth" magnet.
Even tiny tiny specks of metal can speed wear & all tractors create the tiny specks. Much better it all stuck to a magnet than grinding between the gear teeth.