• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 02:40 PM

I am signing up for my first benefit century, I believe it is called the tour de cure and it is basically in my back yard and supports diabetes. I think it is in May so I need to make sure I get on the bike and get some miles in before hand so I am ready.

#17 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 11:12 AM

Todd, hate to hear of the heart issue. Hope you don't mind my asking, but what were the symptoms that alerted something was amiss? Getting older as I am, I always like to hear what to look out for. You never know what can creep up. Having some up front signs to look for can save lives. Hope you get results back soon, and it's nothing to alter your life.

I just got back from the Cardiologist.....Good news. He said that the anomalies with my heart pose no problems. I can resume all and any activities. :beerchug:
I guess this means some trainer time for me, since we still have a couple of feet of snow on the ground.
I hate the trainer, but it's hard to complain after hearing such good news. :D

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 12:12 PM

That's awesome news, trainers do suck but it is better then nothing I guess.

#19 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Nutndun's thread about quiting smoking and starting to ride again made me think of this thread. I thought I'd give it a bump as there has been a lot of new members since the last post that probably haven't seen it and I'm curious to see if any of them ride. I ride mostly trails, riding singletrack is my all time favorite thing to do. I love riding a narrow ribbon of trail through the deep woods, for me it's almost like a spiritual thing. Here's some pics of one of my local trails in Webster NY.

DSC00754.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00760.jpg
  • DSC00745.jpg
  • DSC00772.jpg
  • DSC00746.jpg
  • DSC00742.jpg
  • DSC00750.jpg
  • DSC00755.jpg
  • DSC00784.jpg
  • DSC00748.jpg
  • DSC00744.jpg

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 09:54 PM

Nutndun's thread about quiting smoking and starting to ride again made me think of this thread. I thought I'd give it a bump as there has been a lot of new members since the last post that probably haven't seen it and I'm curious to see if any of them ride. I ride mostly trails, riding singletrack is my all time favorite thing to do. I love riding a narrow ribbon of trail through the deep woods, for me it's almost like a spiritual thing. Here's some pics of one of my local trails in Webster NY.

Better watch out for all those birds in the woods there! LOL My bicycle riding days are behind me. I occasionally ride just up the road & back, but my farm work usually gives me all the exercise I can take! Nice looking trails....I would love walking them.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 10:13 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21158[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21159[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21163[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21164[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21165[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21166[/ATTACH]Posted Image

Thanks for reviving this old thread Dan. I forgot about it myself. I am happy I am getting back in to the biking again. I almost need it to help me with quitting smoking but I also enjoy it way too much.

I just joined our local mountain bike association. So we are going to start going to some of the trails. We are going to make do with the mountain bikes that we have for now but I would like to get a new one within another year or so and if my wife wants to get a new one or use my current one.

That is a very nice Specialized you have. When I make it up one of these times for a plow day or you come down we will have to go on the bikes too. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a terrific trail.

#22 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 11:08 PM

Biking and hiking were two big incentives for me to quit smoking. When the evil urges to smoke came around I would think about the things I wanted to be able to do in my life that smoking was going to rob me of. The fresh air of the woods really helps kill the urge to smoke also. The winter months are difficult but I still try to hike as much as possible. I swear the woods recharge my soul. We will definitely have to go for a ride sometime -here, there or both. There is a great club up here that is doing a lot of trail work and working to get us more trail access. I have a book about mtb trails in Pennsylvania and plan on making a trip down just to go riding sometime. I also want to get a road bike to ride when the trail conditions are poor and I have a set of rollers that I need a road bike to use. The Specialized is a older model I bought used but it is plenty good for me and I am very happy with it.

#23 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 05:08 AM

The wife and I have taken up biking. Nothing hardcore, just around the neighborhood a little or we hop over to the local rail trail which is about a 6 mile run. I just have a 20 year old Murray mountain bike and Mrs. BBY has a new Schwinn. It's a decent bike for the money but is by no means the quality of Schwinn I knew growing up in the 70's. I just mentioned on our ride home yesterday how the riding just wipes out the tension of the whole day. A little exercise does wonders. I'm not the next Bruce Jenner but considering a little over 2 years ago I would have been drinking a beer and sucking on a cig watching TV I guess I'm doing alright.

BBY

#24 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Finishing up on my 1970's Bianchi Lugged bike mod/resto. Got the frame sandblasted and powdercoated. Then picked up a set of Mavic MTB wheels with Deore LX hubs. Wrapped them in some 40-559 street tires for a cushy yet efficient ride. New Sugino crank and Shimano BB. New brakes etc.

Just love the looks of the old lug frames and you can't beat the flexibility of a steel frame. When I finish I'll try and post some pictures.

#25 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Got my first bike in 50 years today. I'm about 20 pounds over weight and my doc. said it would be good for me to get some exercise so I chose bike riding. It's a Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike. Found it on Craigslist and got it for $75.00 and from what I've heard they're really good bikes. First thing is get a new seat that isn't one of those skinny little nut cracker type. Rode it just a little when I got it home and noticed my knees aren't as strong as I thought and it will get your cardio going. Here's a picture.

Posted Image

#26 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 04:00 PM

I ride quite a bit. One reason is cause I don't have a car. Just did about 16 miles today to get some bearings. Me and my sister did a 520 mile ride this summer down to pa near reading, stayed with some friends for the summer and came back. We got a ride the last 80 miles (600 mile total distance round trip from our house to friends house). My sister has tendon problems is the reason we didn't do the total 600. My knees have never been very good and that ride I think took a few years off them. Was great fun though. We did self contained. My sister cooked on a little stove and we carried tents.

I do enjoy biking but my knees are annoying. I wanted to bike down to my cousins in tenn. but I'm not sure if my knees will hold up.
My zip-around bike is a Specialized Sirrus and my touring bike is an old Schwinn with racks and a BOB trailer. I have got about 4 or 5 complete antique cruisers, a wood beam recumbant I made and some junker bikes, bike parts and parts bikes. Our family has to many bikes to count.

#27 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 04:49 PM

Boy I didn't expect to see a thread about Cycling here! :smile1: I started riding around 2003 to help loose weight ( I was up around 285 lbs) I lost the weight but I really got into it hardcore. In 2007 I did 25 century's and around 19000 miles. I rode every chance I had but in the end I burned my self out and in 2008 I ended up quieting. In the last few months I have started riding with a good friend, he just bought a Trek escape. I like this type of riding best because Danny & I just ride at our pace and enjoy talking and looking at the scenery.

I have 2 bikes, a Giant entry level road bike aluminum frame and out fitted with Ultegra components. My second bike is my favorite an the one I ride the most. It is a custom made carbon fiber road bike with Dura Ace components.

Here I am doing the Wheels of Fire in 08
Posted Image

#28 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Bill Said:

In 2007 I did 25 century's and around 19000 miles.

I hope to get close to that by the end of the year, by close I mean leaving off the last two zeros. Man, I can't imagine doing 19K in a year, that's a bunch. I'm between 185 and 190 pounds and need to get down around 165, shouldn't be too hard. Just leave off some of the ice cream, cake and lemon meringue pie plus some exercise.

#29 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Just leave off some of the ice cream, cake and lemon meringue pie plus some exercise.

That is currently the hard part! I'm about 20lbs heavier now then in the picture so I need to get my butt back in gear. In 2005 the club I belonged to had a high mileage challenge from 1 Jan to Dec 31, A friend of mine road nearly 27000 miles that year. He road in just about any weather you can think about. He road before work and after and the thing that amazes me is he never comes out of the big chain ring. His nick name is BigRing Bill (not me)

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:44 PM

I'd ride the one I have here, but I'd look rather funny on one with 8" wheels. Plus the grandson might get mad if I broke it.