• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 07:37 PM

My wife has always bugged me about doing it and this past summer/fall I finally quit smoking after 20+ years and took up riding bike to help keep me healthy. I bit the bug pretty hard and I would commute to work 7 miles each way every day as long as it wasn't raining I was riding. I would go one 10 - 20 mile rides each night after work and then 20+ rides on the weekends.

I managed to commute down to 25 degrees but after that I quit. Depression from it being winter got the best of me and my lack of will power and I started smoking again. I am dying for spring because I am ready to throw my leg back over the saddle and get back in to it. My goal this year is to get in at least 5,000 mile and get in at least two centuries.

I have a cannondale f7 mountain bike which I really like but then I got a cannondale caad7 road bike and there is no comparison with efficiency.

I think tweidman is a fellow biker. Here is a pic of the caad. I don't have any of the f7.

caad7.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:29 PM

I really could use bicycling to trim the weight. I need to lose 30 to 40lbs. My problems started when I went in for my 50yr old "getting old checkup". Had enlarged prostate, high cholesterol, and needed something for arthritis pain. I was just a little overweight, then with the med side effects, I slowed way down. The meds make me feel tired & run down, so can't motivate myself. I know if I could just manage to lose some weight that I would feel a difference & motivate me further. My old bike was old & junk. Maybe the wife & I need to get a new pair. I'd rather ride bikes than walk. I have to have a good seat though. I can't stand those "butt probing" seats that rub me raw. I can't afford a real good bike, but anything is better than nothing. I'll give this some thought.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:51 PM

You would be surprised to find that the seats that look like they would violate you are the ones that end up being more comfortable. It is all about being on your sit bones. I can tell you that you don't need a brand new high dollar bike but don't get what is considered to be a department store bike. At least take the time to go to a professional bike shop and take one for a test ride, figure out what style bike you would like and the size range you would need and look for a used one. There are a lot of high quality high dollar bikes that go on the cheap. I am of the same mind where I will never run, I don't like walking. I enjoy riding the bike and yes it is a workout but you get to see so more more in the same amount of time as walking. Just gotta watch out the the cars and people not paying attention.

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 08, 2010 - 11:33 AM

I would like to ride more. I am really interested in building a recumbent trike.
http://www.atomiczombie.com/ I want to build the DeltaWolf

I also want to mod it to add a kid seat so my daughter can go with me.

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 08, 2010 - 05:31 PM

I think tweidman is a fellow biker.

Yea, I'm a huge cycling nut. I have a whole room of bicycles, and a bunch hanging from the 12' ceiling in my garage.
I don't commute much with my current job, because it's a 50 mile round trip, but I try to ride on Fridays during the good weather. The other problem is that there is no shower. The sink and wash cloth doesn't really cut it, when you work in an office.
I do the mini commute thing right now. I park outside the city, where I work, then bike in to my office (around 2 miles). It's just a few junk miles but it saves me paying for parking.
I usually ride around 30 miles a few evening after work, when it's light out. On the weekend I ride with my club/team, those rides are usually around 60-80 miles.
I also really enjoy mountain biking. The last eight years or more, I have been riding single speed mountain bikes, with no suspension. I also ride fixed gear on the road, but not with the club.
Two months ago I was diagnosed with a heart "issue", and the cardiologist told me I was not allowed to do anything strenuous. So, I have not been on my bike except my mini commute. It's killing me not to ride and I can feel my pants getting tight. :rolleyes1: I have been tested every which way now, but I'm not getting an answer of what the problem is? I hope to get the results of a MRI I just had done at HIH last week. :wallbanging:

Attached Thumbnails

• fixed climb.jpg
  • pbe08 2.jpg
  • 3283776966_75b8825e7a_b.jpg
  • 3282589185_f67b343899_b.jpg

Edited by tweidman, February 08, 2010 - 11:41 PM.
add pics

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 12, 2010 - 09:13 PM

I wish you the best with the results and I hope you can get on the bike again soon. I would think riding the bike would help keep the heart in check?

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 08:08 AM

Thanks George. I still don't have the results. My wife has a new job and we are switching health insurance. With all the snow I have not been into the office to get it done. As soon as I hear back from my employer that I an covered, I will set up an appointment to get the results.... all this waiting sucks. :(
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 08:13 AM

I know what you mean about the waiting. I spent a night in the hospital because of chest pains one time and that stress test and not being able to have morning coffee. I hope they get everything checked out and give ya a clean bill of health. I wouldn't mind meeting up and going on a bike ride sometime. I would like to do my first century this year.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 08:14 AM

I wanted to ask you what mountain bike trail is that the photos were taken?

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 10:23 AM

Todd, hate to hear of the heart issue. Hope you don't mind my asking, but what were the symptoms that alerted something was amiss? Getting older as I am, I always like to hear what to look out for. You never know what can creep up. Having some up front signs to look for can save lives. Hope you get results back soon, and it's nothing to alter your life.

#11 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 01:44 PM

Todd, hate to hear of the heart issue. Hope you don't mind my asking, but what were the symptoms that alerted something was amiss? Getting older as I am, I always like to hear what to look out for. You never know what can creep up. Having some up front signs to look for can save lives. Hope you get results back soon, and it's nothing to alter your life.

No real symptoms, just a murmer found during a routine physical.

#12 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 13, 2010 - 01:46 PM

I wanted to ask you what mountain bike trail is that the photos were taken?

I ride a bunch of different places, but it just so happens that all of the photos were taken at the Frederick Watershed. It's a difficult place to ride, really technical and some lung busting climbs.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 07:37 PM

No real symptoms, just a murmer found during a routine physical.

My oldest daughter learned she had a murmer at routing dr visit. They told her it was nothing to be concerned about. Hope yours turns out the same.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:48 PM

Sounds and looks like a great place to ride. I would definitely want more seat time on the mountain bike before I attempted it. I hope the docs get ya all settled, it would be great if we could do a ride together sometime. I heard a lot of good things about one of the paths down there that is completely flat and would be a great place for me to do my first century.

#15 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 01:33 PM

Sounds and looks like a great place to ride. I would definitely want more seat time on the mountain bike before I attempted it. I hope the docs get ya all settled, it would be great if we could do a ride together sometime. I heard a lot of good things about one of the paths down there that is completely flat and would be a great place for me to do my first century.

Yea, we can hook for a ride sometime. There are no flat rides around my house, no matter where I ride from the house, you will be climbing...a lot.
The closest century for me is the Civil War Century, but it has some huge climbs.
The century that new rider choose around here is the Seagul Century. It's out toward the shore, so it dead flat. Easy to ride for first timers, but it's always packed with riders so I stay away from that one.