Garden Tractor Forums banner

Stihl Chainsaw Identification?

11K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Rick Brumback 
#1 ·
I received this chainsaw as a gift and am looking to part it out/sell it as parts. Would anyone have an idea as to the model number/engine size of this guy? Someone fabbed a chain guard and discarded the plastic cover with the model numbers.

Office equipment Musical instrument Telephone Auto part Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like it has a compression release and with it having a 16" bar I am going to stick with my original assumption of it being an 026. I could very well be wrong, definitely wouldn't be the first time. I don't know the exact specs on the older saws that determined if they were considered pro saws, ie; like the 026. As apposed to the home type saws.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is the chain tension screw in between the bar nuts? Also is that a decompression valve on the top? Judging by the pic's George is probable right with 026, maybe even 028 / 029 the power head doesn't look large enough to be anything bigger. If you live near a Stihl dealer and want to be sure of what your selling your best bet to know for sure is to probable take it in and have them ID it. Unfortunately there is no serial code decoder I know of for stihl. ---

Took me a bit to post this got side tracked, I see George responded about the decompression valve...so I must not just be seeing things. If it has a decomp valve it may actually technically make it a 260. (same as 026)- George might know that for sure.

#6 ·
Yes, chain tensioning screw is between the bar nuts. Yes, I believe that is a decompression valve on the top. What are the differences between the 260 and 026? I'm guessing salvageable parts may include the coil (it does have spark), carb, flywheel, bar, fuel tank, and maybe a few others. Probably won't get rich on parting it out but I hate to see it go in the dumpster.

#8 ·
Being an arborist and using that same saw for years I can almost confirm 100% it is an 026. The comp release and studs on the top are identical to the 026 model. You would be good to fix that saw as it still has a few years left in it and is much better than most saws on the market today. If you need a jug and piston lol at alhborn equipment for parts at a discount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.