• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 11:35 PM

When I listen to this sort of stuff, I feel like mounting up a large hydraulic ram elevated egg, large enough for two, with a safe secure inpenitrible wall with good padding, all mounted with 7/8 inch grade 8 bolts to my bedroom floor and arranged in such a way, that the entire pod could be raised beyond the roof of my 2 story house, for optimum reception from the mothership. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YratsZts57s&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKjS7srlrHk&feature=related

Edited by tractorbeam, March 20, 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#2 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 11:50 PM

.........................Whew. This is pure figgin' magic for me.

#3 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 12:03 AM

The first time I heard this piece, it was coupled up with actual film photage shot something on the order of two days before the great San Francisco earthquake, and in it, people are looking into the camera, as it rolls down the street on the front of a trolly. The music, coupled with the images the film portrayed, and knowing that a good many of the people in the film likely parished, gives it a particular mistique that is quite profound.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:50 AM

I was a Music Education major for one year, decided it wasn't my cup of tea (music was much more than math to me, which is all they seemed to be teaching at the time)

It takes an artist to tell a story without words, even conveying an emotion is a challenge.

Thanks for the links, however, tell the mother ship to go on without me. I'm a child of the 70's and the jukebox of my mind is often filled with what is commonly referred to as "Classic Rock"

Musical diversions for me include Old style Jazz, a little Big Band, original Blues, sometimes reggae and disco. My blood pressure is incompatible with most country, Heavy Metal just makes my ears and brain hurt, and I am missing the rap gene altogether. I can't even enjoy rap coming from the car behind me at the stop light with the rattly trunk brace you can hear over the music.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 08:47 AM

When I listen to this sort of stuff, I feel like mounting up a large hydraulic ram elevated egg, large enough for two, with a safe secure inpenitrible wall with good padding, all mounted with 7/8 inch grade 8 bolts to my bedroom floor and arranged in such a way, that the entire pod could be raised beyond the roof of my 2 story house, for optimum reception from the mothership. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YratsZts57s&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKjS7srlrHk&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbAoIadEmJs

Make sure you get a multi-stage hydraulic, like on a dump truck. I doubt a single stage would be long enough.
  • tractorbeam said thank you

#6 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 11:57 AM

Make sure you get a multi-stage hydraulic, like on a dump truck. I doubt a single stage would be long enough.

Yes indeed! For the elevations I was thinking of, I would have to employ a few multi stages and some guide wires.

#7 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 12:01 PM

I was a Music Education major for one year, decided it wasn't my cup of tea (music was much more than math to me, which is all they seemed to be teaching at the time)

It takes an artist to tell a story without words, even conveying an emotion is a challenge.

Thanks for the links, however, tell the mother ship to go on without me. I'm a child of the 70's and the jukebox of my mind is often filled with what is commonly referred to as "Classic Rock"

Musical diversions for me include Old style Jazz, a little Big Band, original Blues, sometimes reggae and disco. My blood pressure is incompatible with most country, Heavy Metal just makes my ears and brain hurt, and I am missing the rap gene altogether. I can't even enjoy rap coming from the car behind me at the stop light with the rattly trunk brace you can hear over the music.

I'm with you on that totally. Boz is one of my all time favorites coupled with steely dan, but I really dig the vitage jazz along with the newer stuff, blue grass well heck anything blues including SRV and my gosh, I even love the vintage country like Marty Robbins Patsy Cline Slim Whitman and so on. Cannot relate to the hard rock or rap whatsoever. Was working with a guy a year younger than me, and he put on some rap from the 80s and was nudging me like "Hey man, you remember this"........? ............Nope.

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Being a high school "hippie" in the late 70's we listened to what is now called classic rock. I cant stand "rap crap", would rather listen to classical than most "country", find myself leaning more toward the "easy listening" music when the classic rock stations get too fruity. Must be getting old.

Kathy is a member of a bluegrass band "The Broken Glass String Band" and plays several instruments including a hammered dulcimer. I enjoy this type of music, especially the live festival performances, as much now as my rock favorites although I wont go so far as to say I would plug in a Bluegrass CD in the vehicle.
Heres a youtube vid of their gang under their hut at the Evart funfest last year

I dont see her there but do see some of her fellow band members.

Music is a wonderful thing!!
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#9 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 11:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79K5YVjetWw

Edited by tractorbeam, March 26, 2012 - 11:55 PM.