• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:49 AM

Steve, Can you make out the numbers on the aluminum disc on the float bowl of your carb? We might as well record it for reference. I see you haven't gotten a reply to your mag querstion over on the Stak yet. I suppose I'll have to tear one apart and see what's in there. Looking from the outside, I'd think the magnets would be in the rotor. Were you able to download the Std Twin manual from the site here?

#122 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 19133
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:12 PM

Doug, yes I did download the Standard Twin manual. Like you said I had to make a few posts to be able to do it.
Well worth it. Thanks a bunch. This site and these forums are great. I visit several forums a day that relate to other interests that I have. This one is just like those in that there are people with much more experience and expertise than I and they are more than willing to share their knowledge and even literature that they have collected over many years .
So, gaining all this knowledge and maybe even adding to the collective knowledge here is all good.

I sent some pics out to a guy that is a rebuilder. I found him by doing a search for mag rebuilders.
He replied back to send some pics. I did. Have not heard back from him yet.
People are busy. I sent him a note tonight.
I am sure there had to be something inside on the rotor.
Is there anyone that still has a supply of caps and distributor rotors for these mags?
The distributor rotor is gone on this mag as well.

The cap is serviceable I think.

I will take a look at the carb tomorrow when I get home. I am sure I can read the number on the disk.

Steve

#123 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 08:15 AM

There are plenty of mag builders. The only one I have personal experience with is Mainely Magnetos. They rebuilt the mag on my 37 JD B and did a fine job.

Here are the before and after pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1574.JPG
  • 100_2818.JPG

#124 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 10:03 AM

There is a place called Standard Magneto in Chicago that stocks a lot of parts. I think they are a Wico distributor. Not sure what kind of availability there would be on LD parts though. There is Mark's magneto up in Conn. and a mag shop called Weaver's magneto around the corner from my house. They are both decent guys to deal with. I tore an LD down last night to see what was in it but didn't get any pics yet. The rotor is made up of riveted laminations and magnetized. If you're missing the laminations in the rotor maybe you should be on the lookout for another mag.

#125 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 10:39 PM

The LD on my machine has laminations that would surround the magnets or coil that would be on the rotor.
There is a part of the laminations that comes down for a pick up like the radius in a flywheel.
I can take some pics this weekend. I was going to go out and have a look at the carb tonight when I got home.
Decided to stay in the warm house as the wind is blowing 30mph and its snowing.
Will get those numbers this weekend as well.
I did hear back from the guy I sent pics to. He told me there was a wound coil inside on the rotor.
He wanted me to call him and talk.
He has a website. Rebuiltmags.com

Steve

#126 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Just to get it out there. Would anyone have a good mag that would work on my Viking they would want to part with?

Just in case I can't get this one working.

Steve

#127 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Here are the pictures of the mag. It looked basically what I expected to see in there. From your description, I think the only thing you're missing is the coil. It sits over the center lamination coming down from the top. The laminations around the outside are just the armature for the magnetic field. Thinnk of it like a 3 legged Briggs coil with a bottom. Notice the laminations are thicker at the bottom? Your armature to magnet clearance will be when the rotor lines up between it and the center post in the top. The high tension output has to line up with the high tension tower that is top center of the back cover. The rotor is the laminations only and they should be the magnets. I can feel some magnetic field around mine with a screwdriver but it isn't much. The early magnetic materials had a hard time retaining magnetism in a rotor and that was probably the downfall of this mag. The magnets in the early flywheel mags were bad for losing magnetism and they are hard to charge. I know guys using small rare earth magnets stuck inside the flywheels to increase magnetism with good success. This may be a good spot for them here too. My first look would be to find a coil that fits the center laminations. It wouldn't have to be for that particular mag. You can always find a way to fudge the high tension lead out. Hope this helps.

DSC01268.JPG DSC01269.JPG DSC01270.JPG
  • MH81 and happyfoot have said thanks

#128 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:51 PM

Doug, thanks for taking the time to open up your mag to take pics.
The coil is missing as well as the magnet on the rotor. Wonder why someone would remove all that?
They must have had a mag that those parts would have worked on.
Well, I guess this mag is not much good now. Bummer. The guy from the rebuild shop told me the coil alone would cost 175 bucks to wind. Not sure what others would charge. He also said it would take time just to find the parts I need.
I guess I can start doing some research on coils that might fit and go from there.
Thanks again

Steve

#129 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 11:39 PM

Forgot to say that I took the wrote the numbers down off the carb.
This is what I got from the disk. 138A

Steve

#130 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 02:08 PM

Steve, if the rotor part is missing you might as well look for another mag or at least a parts mag. That would be a hard part to get right and not as forgiving as a coil. The price for coil winding is about the going rate. I was quoted 150.00 for an Ideal flywheel mag coil. I found a Briggs magnamatic coil would fit on the laminations. Bought a repo for under 24.00 and fixed it.

#131 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Doug, I talked to the mag rebuilder this morning. He seems to think that the coil from the mag on an IH LA engine will work for this mag. Has the same high tension pickup on it. As for the laminations and magnet he thinks that there are other mags with the same rotor diameter. I am going to do some looking around for something to make this mag work again.
I may be foolish to try but try I will. I have made plenty of things work again when someone told I could not do it.
If it comes to the point that it is going to cost me too much then I will look for another mag.

So , does anyone have a mag that will work on this engine? One they would want to part with?

Steve

#132 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ok, here is a question . How many rpm does the mag turn in relation to the engine rpm? Would it turn half the rpm that the engine is turning? Or would it be 1/4 the rpm? Just wondering.

Steve

#133 happyfoot OFFLINE  

happyfoot
  • Contributor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 11:44 PM

Ok, I found the answer to my own question today. Its 2:1 ratio. Guess I should have went out and turned the motor and watched the mag shaft before I asked the question.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Steve

#134 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi All This is my Standard tractor I have had for about five years.It is an early open flywheel model like in the first post of this thread. These are the best photo`s I have for now It came from the son of a long time owner in New York state  Chuck

Attached Thumbnails

• vgtcoa10 294.jpg
  • vgtcoa10 291.jpg

Edited by Columbia236, October 29, 2013 - 06:54 PM.

• DougT, Alc and DB1 have said thanks

#135 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Nice,

I'm diggin on that other one too.  Gravely model D?

Larry W.