• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 11:58 AM

DougT, Candy, regarding the cooling fan, is that a cast aluminum or iron housing with a rotor much like you would an exhaust-driven turbo compressor and is the buzz-coil liken that to one used on the Ford Model T or Fairbanks Morse Hit~n~Miss ?

Trowel, I woould describe the fan more like a hair dryer. Here are some pics of an original. the red bracket is complete and the fan is cast aluminum. It mounts on the ol fill tube and the rest is just sheet metal. The small holes are where the tin screws to the bracket. The other one has a broken bracket and a replacement squirrel cage but shows the friction drive.

DSC00736.JPG DSC00737.JPG

DSC00738.JPG DSC00739.JPG
  • DB1 said thank you

#77 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hi Doug,

I'll try and clarify my posting. Here are pictures of the sediment bowl cover and the Zenith carb. that are on the Monarch. I don't know if they are original to the piece, though.

It would be interesting to find out what the 20 means.

Thanks,
Candy

Attached Thumbnails

• Sediment bowl.jpg
  • Zenith.jpg

• DougT said thank you

#78 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 02:07 PM

There was a typed piece of paper included with the booklet which was original and gave the list prices f.o.b. Minneapolis:
Twin $287.50
Monarch $210
Walsh $160
This price included the complete tractor, field lugs, trailing double draw bar, clear-vision tool control, tool lift levers which were only on the Monarch and Twin models, gauge wheels, adjustable tread, Denet air cleaner, six tool posts and post clamps and a set of 6 horse type cultivating steels.
So, it was a package deal. There were many other attachments/implements which could be bought.
The Walsh draw bar uses the guage wheels and a single screw to adjust depth.
The draw bar follows the tractor on the Walsh.
The Twin and the Monarch draw bar use a hand lever to adjust the depth.
The draw bar on the Twin and Monarch can follow the tractor or move independently (another direction than the tractor is going) ie: for crooked rows.

Attached Thumbnails

• 65.11.jpg
  • DSC03526.jpg
  • Tools.jpg
  • Cultivator tool.jpg

Edited by DB1, April 03, 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#79 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hi Doug,

I'll try and clarify my posting. Here are pictures of the sediment bowl cover and the Zenith carb. that are on the Monarch. I don't know if they are original to the piece, though.

It would be interesting to find out what the 20 means.

Thanks,
Candy

The Zenith carb is original. hard to say abouyt the sediment bowl. They did use Tillotson carbs too.
  • DB1 said thank you

#80 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Here is the number on a part from the Monarch E41153.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03534.jpg

#81 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 02:47 PM

This posting is showing the illustrations of the Walsh, Monarch and the Standard Twin engines from my catalog. I thought it would be nice to have all three of them in a line to see the differences.

Attached Thumbnails

• Walsh.jpg
  • 40-41.11.jpg
  • 44.12.jpg

Edited by DB1, April 04, 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#82 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Okay, the Viking Twin made by the Allied Motors Corporation of Minneapolis, Minnesota, got jealous because the Monarch saw the light of day.
You have to keep your tractors happy. The Viking runs and much like the other one in this
thread she smokes at first. She can't break that bad habit.

The plow on the Viking Twin plow has the number 80A.
I included the illustration of the Monarch plow.

I want to thank everyone for their questions and comments. I appreciate your willingness to contribute information and pictures of your garden tractors to this thread. The only way we will ever learn anything is if people like you are willing to share the information they have about these unique machines of the past.

If you continue to have questions, please post them here. I'll continue to montior this thread. My information is limited to what is in the catalog. I'm hopeful that someone who knows more than me about them will post the answers on here.

This is a terrific website.
Thanks,
DB1

Attached Thumbnails

• Viking Twin ab.jpg
  • Viking Twin 111a.jpg
  • Viking Twin 11.jpg
  • Viking Twin.jpg
  • Viking Twin 111.jpg
  • Viking Twin wheel.1.jpg
  • Viking Twin plow.jpg
  • Monarch Plow.jpg

#83 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 04, 2012 - 02:31 PM

I was thinking maybe we should make this thread a sticky. I've got a good one for you to figure out. Since your Monarch didn't have a tag, how did you determine it was a Monarch and not the plain Standard that was between the first model shown and the monarch?

#84 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 01:28 AM

i think making this info a sticky is a good idea, lots of stuff for a newer collector to see in one place.

Another player in this game was Sears, who's first 2 models (31,32) of Handiman were really Walsh tractors. I was thinking that DougT owns one of the early Walsh/Handiman units.
  • DB1 said thank you

#85 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 08:15 AM

I was thinking maybe we should make this thread a sticky. I've got a good one for you to figure out. Since your Monarch didn't have a tag, how did you determine it was a Monarch and not the plain Standard that was between the first model shown and the monarch?

I think that's a good idea Doug. You should be able to do that if you like.

#86 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 11:59 AM

That is a very good question Doug.
The following information is how I came to the conclusion that our garden tractor is a Monarch and not a Standard.
I based my conclusion on the current information that I have acquired during my research of the Standard Engine Company.
I realize that as new information comes to light my conclusion may change. There are still a lot of mysteries left to uncover due to company's elusive documentation of their line.
Our Monarch did not have a tag or even the name 'Monarch' written on it anywhere.

*The following determination has been revised.
Corrections are made and explained in post #87 by Doug T..
HOW TO DETERMINE WHETHER YOU HAVE A MONARCH OR A STANDARD GARDEN TRACTOR

The Monarch has a 3 1/2 hp L F head engine. L head mean flathead.
The Standard has a 3 1/2 hp F head engine.
* I have found information that the Standards used the F head engine.
Doug T. corrected my findings. I learned something new the difference between an L head and an F head engine. So, both the Standard and the Monarch used F-head engines.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Monarch has pyramid lugs on the steel wheels.
The Standard has cleats on the steel wheels.
Every picture that I have seen of a Standard has cleats verses the pyramid lugs.
Doug T. says the wheels are the key to knowing if it is a Monarch.

http://www.donaldant...dard_text1.html

Living and Learning!
Thanks Doug,
Candy

Edited by DB1, April 06, 2012 - 08:05 AM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#87 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 02:29 PM

HOW TO DETERMINE WHETHER YOU HAVE A MONARCH OR A STANDARD GARDEN TRACTOR

The Monarch has a 3 1/2 hp L head engine. L head mean flathead.
The Standard has a 3 1/2 hp F head engine.
* I have found information that the Standards used the F head engine.

The Monarch has pyramid lugs on the steel wheels.
The Standard has cleats on the steel wheels.
Every picture that I have seen of a Standard has cleats verses the pyramid lugs.

The Monarch has the air filter that goes out the front of the tractor.
The Standard has the air filter that goes out the top of the tractor in front of the gas tank.

http://www.donaldant...dard_text1.html

Well.......I knew you could do it!! Out of those 3 answers, one is it!

First, they are both F head styled engines. For an engine to be an L head, both valves would have to be side by side in the block. The Twin and the Viking would fall into that category. The F head design is one valve over top the other. Both the Standard and Standard Monarch qualify.

Second, the air cleaner location is more a year variation. I don't think the Kinkaid style air cleaner made it to the Monarch production but it may have. There were at least a couple carb variations in the Standard over the years. Its trying to determine when the variations take place to determine the years from the early numbering system.

The number one way to tell is by the wheels. The Standard wheels were stamped steel and dished in the center with the angle iron cleats. the Monarch wheels were rolled and flat with bolt on lugs. As far as I've been able to determine, that was the biggest single change in 34. The Walsh vs Standard Walsh wheels under went the same changes in 34.

#88 1979gmc OFFLINE  

1979gmc

• Member No: 6525
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 06:05 PM

DB1 love your tractor, I had an old sears Walsh Handiman should never of sold it. I also saw 2 others at a local action a few years back but didn't stay long enough only 3 I've ever seen in person.
  • DB1 said thank you

#89 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 05, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Well.......I knew you could do it!! Out of those 3 answers, one is it!
Doug, you do know more than I do about the Standard Engine Company line of tractors. I'm a novice; but, I'm learning.

First, they are both F head styled engines. For an engine to be an L head, both valves would have to be side by side in the block. The Twin and the Viking would fall into that category. The F head design is one valve over top the other. Both the Standard and Standard Monarch qualify.

I didn't know what the difference was an F head and L head engine. Thanks, now I do.

Second, the air cleaner location is more a year variation. I don't think the Kinkaid style air cleaner made it to the Monarch production but it may have. There were at least a couple carb variations in the Standard over the years. Its trying to determine when the variations take place to determine the years from the early numbering system.

Well, at least I noticed a difference with the air cleaners.

The number one way to tell is by the wheels. The Standard wheels were stamped steel and dished in the center with the angle iron cleats. the Monarch wheels were rolled and flat with bolt on lugs. As far as I've been able to determine, that was the biggest single change in 34. The Walsh vs Standard Walsh wheels under went the same changes in 34.

Oh boy, you are saying the design of the wheels is the number one to tell. Doug, thats too easy. The wheel design was first thing I noticed that was different. I figured it couldn't be that easy. That is why I kept looking for more differences between the Monarch and the Standard.
Thanks for the information,
DB1

#90 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 08:27 AM

DB1 love your tractor, I had an old sears Walsh Handiman should never of sold it. I also saw 2 others at a local action a few years back but didn't stay long enough only 3 I've ever seen in person.

We have never seen the Walsh/Handiman for sale or at a show. I feel for you. It is always the one that gets away; that you miss the most.

I think that people should show these little tractors no matter the condition of them. I like to see the tractors in their workclothes. It is nice to see the original features in their natural used state.They were meant to be used. Battle scars tell a story.

I know some people who only bring their prettiest and shinest tractor to the shows. A guess we woman have beauty contests and you guys have your prettiest tractor contests. We bring our old workhorses for the most part. We get more people stopping by and asking questions that way. Our collection of old mowers gets a lot of attention. Now, that I know more about them I will have more to tell them. The history is really interesting on this line of tractors. It would be nice to have one of each model to show the evolutionary process. Now, that would be a display! Dreaming On!

If you have any pictures or information on it, please post them. I would love to see the Walsh/Handiman.
Thanks,
Candy