• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#46 1979gmc OFFLINE  

1979gmc

• Member No: 6525
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:35 PM

I fired up my Viking after work today to take a few pics, we call her Ole Smokey as you can see she really puffs at idle when warmed up:) I'll try to get the standard on steel out for the weekend to pull the logs.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3282.JPG
  • IMG_3284.JPG
  • IMG_3286.JPG

• trowel and DB1 have said thanks

#47 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:44 PM

I posted these pictures before but thought I'd add them to this thread . It was my grand father's Walsh tractor now owned by my cousin .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0691_(Small).jpg
  • DSCF0690_(Small).jpg
  • DSCF0689_(Small).jpg

#48 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Did Standard Tractor make their own plows ? Reason I ask is my grandfather gave me a small plow that looks like it attaches like the one DB1 posted above from the catalog , mine has DB casted on the side so I always figured it was from a old David Bradley he might have had at one time , Al

#49 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,732 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I have a letter from the Allied motor corporation stating the viking twin was the (new) model, it is dated 7-22-1931. I would think that the standard twins probably came out around the same time as they were both made by Allied Motors. I love these tractors as there is so much neat lititure out there on them just wish they would have dated more of it.

Is there any way you can scan this piece and post it? It would be interesting to see what they were offering as new. There were 3 different models of the Viking twin but this date doesn't match any of the known switch over dates. I'm going to side with DB1 on the 34 date for the Twin. That's about a 99.99% certainty. I think you'll find the Viking model B was on the market in the 26-27 range. What is the number on the one you pictured?

< I would think that the standard twins probably came out around the same time as they were both made by Allied Motors.>

This is the second statement I want to comment on. Basically there were 2 business partners. One was named Downey or Downing and the other escapes me now. Walsh was a designer/engineer and was with them from the get go. The 2 partners had some colorful and shrewd business deals.They had a plant that encompassed a whole city block. Since they were surrounded by 4 different streets, they were capable of 4 different addresses. In 1921 they introduce the Kinkaid garden tractor under the American Farm machinery name. This is easily verified. There is a copy of the article in one of Alan King's books. This tractor has become referred to as the first generation. In the 23-24 range the kinkaid engine was change to a headless design. This is referred to as the second generation. The tractor that started this thread shows up in the 25 range and is the first verifiable offering of the Standard Engine Co. This was the second street address. Next Allied Motors shows up with the 2 cyl viking approx 26-27. Now ther are 3 different companies with different addresses but still the same 3 players. Approx 1928 the Kinkaid changes again to the model K This was the first one to have fins in the flywheel and a tin shroud. About this time the Walsh Tractor Co shows up with a 2 wheel traactor using the Kinkaid engine. This gives us 4 companies in one basic location. About this time, the Standard garden tractor is changed to the one piece crankcase/gearbox but with a bigger engine than the Walsh. I'm thinking it was late 33 that there was an announcement in one of the trade mags that claimed the Standard Engine Co had aquired the Walsh Tractor Co and was also introducing the new 2 cyl twin. That would be the era of DB1s piece of literature. As a side note, the Walsh had steel handles starting in 34 but that piece of literature still has the early picture. Also about this time the Viking model changed from the B to F. It used the same engine as the twin but with a different gearbox. I'm not sure on the production range of the single cyl Viking but it used the same shrould design as the model B. and a gearbox closer to the F. In the 37 range the Twin ws equipped with individual steering brakes. The Viking was changed to a model CF and was basically a twin with an enclosed engine house. The enclosed engine house does show up on the later Fs also. the Kinkaid had a couple different models after the K. Next came the L. It was the first to have steel handles instead of wood. After that was the 2 cycle engined Suburbanite. Standard Engine Co also produced their 2 wheel version of that, the Edgeton. Late 30s, early 40s the Monarch was changed to steel handles and a flywheel magneto. Late 50s the company was sold and all tractors after that had the Allied motors tag and were called Viking. They prduced some that had a seperate engine nd belt drive instead of the old all in one design. Early 60s they were gone.
  • trowel, redcarkids and DB1 have said thanks

#50 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:39 PM

1979gmc,
Thanks a bunch for the pic's, that's a fine looking tractor, i see your boy can't quite reach it yet but in no time he will be spending quality time with you :thumbs:

ALc, that is a great tractor your cousin has there, thanks for showing it.

Doug T, WOW, that is more then i could ever ask for, im very glad this thread has been started, im learning more now then ever before.

Candy, thanks for starting this thread, so much to learn, i also have a question if you don't mind.

This Walsh was at the Hatfield Engine show last summer, never asked if it was for sale seeing as the owner was not around, what year is this walsh and who made the engine ? is the culti tool original to the tractor.
Was in very good shape but not running.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• SANY0503.JPG
  • SANY0504.JPG

• DB1 said thank you

#51 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,732 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 07:09 AM

This Walsh was at the Hatfield Engine show last summer, never asked if it was for sale seeing as the owner was not around, what year is this walsh and who made the engine ? is the culti tool original to the tractor.
Was in very good shape but not running.

Thanks.

Trowel, With spoke wheels and steel handles that Walsh would have to be 34 or newer. The ID tag should have been on the back gas tank support. If you had that number it could be dated. The numbering system that showed dates started in 34 on the Twin and the Walsh. The engine was their own and shared parts with the model K Kinkaid. One thing I was trying to show above was that it wasn't a matter of Allied building Standard or vice-versa. The conglomerate of companies were owned by the same major players and they were supplying their own needs regardless of the name it was sold under. The tool bar is Standard design but looks a little wide for the tractor. It's hard to tell from the pictures.
  • trowel said thank you

#52 1979gmc OFFLINE  

1979gmc

• Member No: 6525
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 07:22 AM

My Viking in the pic is a 1936 I believe a moble F. I've never scaned but I'll see if I can get my wife to do it:) The brocure that came with the letters from Allied shows a twin with wooden handles and an older style motor. I'll try to get her to scan all of it for you. My son loves old tractors bought him a RJ-58 at the wheel horse show when he was 2 its almost done (rustiest tractor I ever fixed) he wouldn't leave the show with out it, so had to buy it :)
  • trowel said thank you

#53 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:30 AM

1979GMC

It looks like the man made a wise choice in who got his treasure his tractor. I like your smokestack on the Viking Twin. Now, that is classy. No doubt it is a powerhouse on wheels.

1934 steel handles on the twin fits in with my catalog picture and the description. :thumbs:

It would be great to see that letter from Allied.
  • trowel said thank you

#54 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Did Standard Tractor make their own plows ? Reason I ask is my grandfather gave me a small plow that looks like it attaches like the one DB1 posted above from the catalog , mine has DB casted on the side so I always figured it was from a old David Bradley he might have had at one time , Al

Standard made their own mouldboard plows.

Walsh 7" cut
pin and holed with clevis

Standard "Monarch"
8" cut
hand lever adjustment

Standard "Twin"
10" cut
hand lever adjustment

Edited by DB1, March 28, 2012 - 09:24 AM.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#55 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Standard made their own mouldboard plows.

Walsh 7" cut
pin and holed with clevis

Standard "Monarch"
8" cut
hand lever adjustment

Standard "Twin"
10" cut
hand lever adjustment

Bingo !, as i though, now i can correct a stubborn someone regarding the plow question, i take it Standard make a Sulky too ?

#56 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:13 AM

The Twin and the Monarch had sulkies.
The Twin had a hauling cart.
My catalog showed a homemade wooden cart for the Monarch model.

Attached Thumbnails

• Riding Cart.jpg

Edited by DB1, March 29, 2012 - 08:20 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#57 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:47 AM

The Twin and the Monarch had sulkies.
The Twin had a hauling cart.
My catalog showed a homemade wooden cart for the Monarch model.

Confermed, many thanks :thumbs:
  • DB1 said thank you

#58 jdemaris OFFLINE  

jdemaris
  • Member No: 8870
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has this Standard Engine garden tractor.
It would be neat to see if one exists; since, I have never seen one.

Thanks,
DB1

I've got a couple that look pretty much the same. I'd have to see a better photo. The first Standard tractors did NOT us Standard engines. They use a Kinkade engine built by American Farm Machinery Company of one-wheel tractor fame (engine in wheel). I've got many Kinkades, early Standard tractors, Walsh, Monarchs, Standard Twins and Viking Twins. Spiiked metal wheels, flat-lug-cleat metal wheels, rubber tired, wood handled and metal handled.

Somebody else mentioned them using a motorcycle engine. I'll believe that when I see some evidence and I haven't. Gravely DID use an Indian motorcycle engine early on.
  • DB1 said thank you

#59 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 01:28 PM

Somebody else mentioned them using a motorcycle engine. I'll believe that when I see some evidence and I haven't. Gravely DID use an Indian motorcycle engine early on.

Worthington esate mowers used Harley Davidson single cylinder engines with a cooling shrowd.

#60 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,732 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 01:47 PM

Jdemaris, Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. The tractor that was beng referred to was the early Standard that used the second generation Kinkaid engine. Do you have one of those?