214 replies to this topic

#31 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi Doug,

No there is no publication number or dates anywhere. Here is the front cover.
There was a typed piece of paper included with the booklet which was original and gave the list prices f.o.b. Minneapolis:

Twin $287.50
Monarch $210
Walsh $160

Attached Thumbnails

• Cover.a.jpg

Edited by DB1, March 26, 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#32 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 03:42 PM

That was a lot of money for a tractor then.
I see it pictures the Walsh with the fuel tank inline with the frount, back of the tractor, 1928-29 ?

#33 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 04:01 PM

That was a lot of money for a tractor then.
I see it pictures the Walsh with the fuel tank inline with the frount, back of the tractor, 1928-29 ?

For it to be Standard Walsh it has to be 34 or newer. The only Walsh built tractor that didn't have the tank front to back was the one they built for Sears in 32.I think I have a couple different versions of that book. I'd have to do some checking.
  • DB1 said thank you

#34 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 04:11 PM

I stand corrected.
I almost said 1932 but pushed it back to 29, was wrong eather way.

#35 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:38 PM

That's okay Jesse I'm just guessing it is 1934 because it stated that the Standard Twin was new. As far as I can find out, that was the first year they produced the Twin. But, one day I might stand corrected on that one, too.

I wonder why businesses didn't keep better records back then. To print a catalog and not put the date on it doesn't make much sense to me. They might have used the same catalog for multiple years, too. But, I only have one so I wouldn't know.

I welcome all input on this thread whether it is correct or not. It makes for a lively discussion. Who knows what piece of the puzzle might pop-up.
  • trowel said thank you

#36 1979gmc OFFLINE  

1979gmc

• Member No: 6525
  • 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:58 PM

I have a letter from the Allied motor corporation stating the viking twin was the (new) model, it is dated 7-22-1931. I would think that the standard twins probably came out around the same time as they were both made by Allied Motors. I love these tractors as there is so much neat lititure out there on them just wish they would have dated more of it.
  • DB1 said thank you

#37 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Someday i will have to up-load my Owensborrow Ditcher and Grader Co. Inc. owners manual, it has no date, copywrite or publish Co., has line drawings and photos and looks 1920's-30's in Owensborrow, Kentucky, more then likely on the roads and fields around the plant after seaching though photos of that town in the 20's and 30's.

We may never know the real reason why the Mfg's did not date but it adds to the fun hunting it down.
  • DB1 said thank you

#38 1979gmc OFFLINE  

1979gmc

• 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:16 PM

It's funny I read this thread today because earlier today my old man asked me to bring my standard twin to his place this week and drag some logs that the power company cut down by his creek. maybe I can get some action pics.
  • DB1 said thank you

#39 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Does anyone know how the gas tank goes on the Viking single?
I know the the Viking Twin tank runs wheel to wheel.
Does anyone have a Viking single?
I would love to see pictures of it.
Thanks,
  • trowel said thank you

#40 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's funny I read this thread today because earlier today my old man asked me to bring my standard twin to his place this week and drag some logs that the power company cut down by his creek. maybe I can get some action pics.

I would be more then happy to see it in action, if the question was poped on the same day you found this thread then it is meant to be.

#41 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Here is the Walsh and some of its attachments from the catalog. From what I have gathered, the 1934 was the first time that the Standard Engine Company introduced the Walsh tractor to their line. So, I'm leaning toward the 1934 date. No publishing company is listed on the catalog either. There is not even an address of where to write for additional information. I suspect an order blank might have accompanied the catalog but it is long gone.

Attached Thumbnails

• Walsh.a.jpg
  • Walsh attachments.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#42 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 12:57 PM

1930's

The Walsh had 40 pyramid field lugs. 20 lugs to each wheel.
Hardwood handles

The Monarch had 48 pyramid field lugs.
Hardwood handles

The "Twin" had 48 pyramid field lugs.
Heavy steel tubing for handles
  • trowel said thank you

#43 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Here is the center of the catalog.
The Walsh, Monarch and the Standard Twin

Attached Thumbnails

• W,M,T.jpg

• trowel and 75917591 have said thanks

#44 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 02:46 PM

I have a letter from the Allied motor corporation stating the viking twin was the (new) model, it is dated 7-22-1931. I would think that the standard twins probably came out around the same time as they were both made by Allied Motors. I love these tractors as there is so much neat lititure out there on them just wish they would have dated more of it.

Thanks for correcting me on the date of the Twin. You are right they Twins and Viking Twins are wonderful old tractors. We have a Viking Twin. It is quite a masterpiece to admire. Such a manly looking tractor. The lugs are impressive.
Guys actually get excited when they see it for the first time. It is a fun conversation piece to have. Hold on it will take you for a quick walk or run. No sulky on ours.
  • trowel said thank you

#45 1979gmc OFFLINE  

1979gmc

• 9 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:22 PM

I believe the twins at least viking twins had wooden handles from 1931-33 and in 34 went to steel. at least thats what I gather from the lititure I have and the tractors I've seen over the years. I learned a lot from my neighbor as a kid he started my standard collection with a 1936 twin he bought new,he had 4 other twins but the 36 was his favorite the others were on rubber. He gave it to me with the stipulation that I had ot always keep it running and not to let it get scraped he was in his 90's then and could still run it, it usually starts on the 1 or 2 crank:) He gave me all his paper work including the bill of sale from a local dealer. I've had that tractor 25 years now still runs great has factory steel duals on it always a crowd pleaser:)
  • trowel and DB1 have said thanks