#166 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 04:59 PM

DougT

I reread your post and I think you had it nailed except for the pivot. The pivot with the tab that touches the back of the gov arm seems to be a throttle limiter to me.

You are also correct that hooking the throttle cable/rod to the governor arm, just takes it out of the picture altogether.

Larry W.

Sorry for all the posts. I rarely get everything the way I meant to say it the first time around! LOL

#167 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 11:45 PM

OK, I forgot I traded scrap for scrap last summer and ended up with a twin that has the gov. I see what is happening now.The lever pushes the gov arm toward idle. It is preventing the spring from being able to pull the throttle wide open. If you are going along at half throttle and the engine starts to bogg, there is no way for the throttle to open without the operator moving the throttle. Anyway, maybe these pics will help tell the story. The first pic shows the lever that the cable hooks to like Larry said. In this pic the gov arm will move to the left to go to idle. When the cable pulls back on the bottom of the lever, the top of the lever pushes the arm to the left.The housing of the cable is held by a bracket on the trans cover in the second pic. The 3rd pic is an overall view. You have to look close to see the cable behind the bolt for the spring. If you look at the gov arm, there is a cotter pin through the arm from the bottom up. I would figure that's where the spring hooks.

DSC01704.JPG .             DSC01705.JPG

DSC01706.JPG

#168 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 10:46 AM

DOugT,

Nice pics, Thanks.  Saved in my files. I'm gonna see if mine has that hole where the cotter key is. Makes sense the spring might go there.  They removed everything else from mine, but I doubt they removed the hole.  LOL

Larry W

#169 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Doug,

Are all the normal parts scavenged off of that tractor?  Tins etc?

#170 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Doug,

Are all the normal parts scavenged off of that tractor?  Tins etc?

Amazingly its fairly complete. It was more of a barnyard fresh than barn fresh. The tank has been gone a long time but that is about it. The engine shrould isn't even rusted out at the bottom. It was on rubber and one rim is totally shot. I didn't have a twin with the steering brakes and now that it has the gov I'll probably have to keep it.

#171 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 12:46 PM

DougT

Sounds like a gem in the rough.  IF you should decide to part it out, let me know.

Larry W.

#172 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:58 PM

Does anyone know the proper color(s) of a standard walsh?

#173 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 09:27 PM

Does anyone know the proper color(s) of a standard walsh?

I actually think these were in a variation of colors. The orange-red that mostly survives on these is the primer. I've seen them in green, red, and green with red accents. The Walsh tractor co tractors seem to be green or blue. Look carefull in spots where paint might be left untouched and see if you can tell.

#174 RAWPWR OFFLINE  

RAWPWR
  • Member No: 66469
  • 39 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 03:03 PM

hi all,

http://gardentractor...04077_thumb.jpg

here is my Viking it's a 38CF698

it needs a gas tank and hood, if anyone can help?

thanks,

George

post-66469-0-20894000-1422304077_thumb.j

Edited by RAWPWR, February 18, 2015 - 03:05 PM.

• Alc, DB1 and Tbrooks have said thanks

#175 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:19 PM

Welcome Raw Power,

I'm so glad you joined us on this thread and posted your Viking.

Thank You,

Candy

• RAWPWR said thank you

#176 RAWPWR OFFLINE  

RAWPWR
  • Member No: 66469
  • 39 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 01:54 PM

thanks for the invite

george

• DB1 said thank you

#177 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 01:24 PM

I ran into 2 twins this morning just by happenstance.  I went with some friends from church to help another church member move.  We stopped at a local small engine shop and I being like most of you headed for the "rusty-crusty" section.  I was surprised when I looked and found 2 of them sitting there.  One has the engine pulled out and the heads are off of it but it is free.  It is a steel wheeled model.  The other is a rubber tired model and the engine is in it and it too is free.  This one has what looks to be a brand new carb on it.  What the original looks like on them I do not know so I cannot tell how accurate it is.  The motor that is off lays in the snow and is laying on the carb side frozen in the ground so I cannot see it.  There is a Wico magneto on the rubber tired one and the other magneto I cannot tell what it is but it is there.  There is no attachment on either of these but they look to be complete back to where the implement hooks up to them.  $200 bucks would buy both of them.  The one even has the original starting crank with it.  I think it's a good deal but just don't know if the Mrs. would go for it considering all the money I am spending on my 107 Cub Cadet and the DC Case at the moment.  I would like to have them though as we had one that laid in the scrap pile when I was a kid.  It never ran but I think it would cool to have one again to fix up.  I think one good one could be made of the two. 

Good deal or not?  I would think the Wico mag would be worth at least half of that a piece and the carb should be worth something.  What is the opinion of those who already have a twin?  Thanks for any help.

Edited by IHCubGuy, February 28, 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#178 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 12:07 AM

I ran into 2 twins this morning just by happenstance.  I went with some friends from church to help another church member move.  We stopped at a local small engine shop and I being like most of you headed for the "rusty-crusty" section.  I was surprised when I looked and found 2 of them sitting there.  One has the engine pulled out and the heads are off of it but it is free.  It is a steel wheeled model.  The other is a rubber tired model and the engine is in it and it too is free.  This one has what looks to be a brand new carb on it.  What the original looks like on them I do not know so I cannot tell how accurate it is.  The motor that is off lays in the snow and is laying on the carb side frozen in the ground so I cannot see it.  There is a Wico magneto on the rubber tired one and the other magneto I cannot tell what it is but it is there.  There is no attachment on either of these but they look to be complete back to where the implement hooks up to them.  $200 bucks would buy both of them.  The one even has the original starting crank with it.  I think it's a good deal but just don't know if the Mrs. would go for it considering all the money I am spending on my 107 Cub Cadet and the DC Case at the moment.  I would like to have them though as we had one that laid in the scrap pile when I was a kid.  It never ran but I think it would cool to have one again to fix up.  I think one good one could be made of the two. 

Good deal or not?  I would think the Wico mag would be worth at least half of that a piece and the carb should be worth something.  What is the opinion of those who already have a twin?  Thanks for any help.

Sound like a good deal to me. If i was the one that found them, I would bring them home. Did you get any pics of them?
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#179 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Sound like a good deal to me. If i was the one that found them, I would bring them home. Did you get any pics of them?

No pics but I did notice they each had their tag on the handlebars.  I am a little concerned that there may be missing pieces to the clutch on the one with the engine taken off.  Also the rubber tired unit is missing the engine shrouding.

#180 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 10:19 AM

My hubby would of already had them in the truck and brought home to me.  For only $200 he wouldn't have to ask me he already knows the answer.  Oh yeah! ... bring them home.Buy them both sir. 

• IHCubGuy said thank you