10 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:07 AM

Seems like there just aren't magazines out there devoted to the 2 wheeled walk-behind garden tractor. I only know of one such publication - Vintage Garden Tractor Club of America Newsletter. Anyone know of any others? I am a member of the Vintage Horticultural & Garden Machinery Club based in England. I am impressed with the number and size of their 2 wheeled walk-behind garden tractors. It seems that in that club the 4 wheeled variety are the less popular ones. I have gone to garden tractors shows already where I felt out of place among all the 4 wheeled variety.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:20 AM

I'm not sure if I have ever seen a magazine devoted strictly to 2 wheelers.At least not up my way .

Edited by mjodrey, March 20, 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yes, a magazine with some 2 wheelers would be great. I thought we were going to get this a few yrs back when the LAGT one started, at least thats how it was sold to me back at the begining. Not sure if there ever has been any featured yet, as i quit getting it at the end of the second yr, as it was mostly full of riders and JD stuff. Not saying the magazine is bad, so dont jump up on any stumps. Simply stating that there were 100's of walk-behinds built over the yrs and the first GT ever tested at Nebraska was a walker. I beleive more recognition of them is due.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#4 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Over the years I have written several articles on ROTOTILLER brand tillers for LAGT and currently have an article in the March issue, but there are virtually no others who write about the 2 wheelers. There is a gentleman who writes a column in almost every issue concerning Gravely, but that is about it. Farm Collector at one time had at least one article an issue on the 2-wheeled tractors, but that stopped and that is when I dropped that magazine. LAGT has recently undergone some rather large changes and I am not sure what is going to happen there in the future. I do hope the Vintage Garden Tractor Club of America Newsletter continues. That newsletter has carried some very interesting history of past manufacturers like the Lawn Boy story and the history of Clinton engines. There were a lot of great 2 wheeled garden tractors made in the US years back and I would very much like to know more about them. I would like to know more about Simplicity and its connection with Montgomery Ward, David Bradley and Sears, and other manufacturers of the day and the equipment they built.

Edited by earthgrinder, March 20, 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Yes, we do need one and i have been waiting for a real one, not a brief overview article occasionally someweres between page 4 or 8. Im talking something with informative tutorials at least a few pages long, advertisements for all things related to the first GTs made,... a walk behind.

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 05:01 AM

I have written several articles on ROTOTILLER brand tillers for LAGT and currently have an article in the March issue,

I enjoyed reading your article! ...Thanks for submitting it.

My Dad was a Rototiller dealer starting in 1949 or 1950, but I never knew the history of the company.

#7 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:17 AM

Bruce,
I believe many years ago you connected me with a fellow who bought some of the inventory from your Dad's shop.

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Bruce,
I believe many years ago you connected me with a fellow who bought some of the inventory from your Dad's shop.

Yes, that was Dan B. in the Doylestown area. ....Actually, I gave him all the parts, as at the time, no one had a need for them.

I have some FREE Rototiller parts for you, as well as some manuals (which you may already have). ....I looked for you at one of the Jacktown shows last year, but you weren't there with a display.

Do you ever get to the I-78 corridor in New Jersey or eastern PA?

#9 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 09:09 AM

I was at the fall show as a spectator. Lately I have only been going to Rough & Tumble with the tiller display. I should go and exhibit the tillers. I really like the setting for their show. Another collector friend, Les Miller, shows his early Rototillers there and I got to know Harley Collins (Worthington tractors) who exhibits there as well.

I was hoping to see Dan at the fall show, but he was not there.
My youngest son lives in Hellertown and we get down there about once a month.

Edited by earthgrinder, March 21, 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#10 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 10:42 AM

My youngest son lives in Hellertown and we get down there about once a month.

I go to Hellertown once or twice a week. .....Let me know in advance, and maybe I can meet you to give you the parts.

#11 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:46 PM

I sent you a message in this forum's messenger.