• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Folks have asked what the letters on the back of their ignition switch stand for. I found this and thought I would add it in here for those looking for this info:
M = Magneto
S = Starter Solenoid
L = Lights
A = Accessory
B = Battery
G = Ground
I = Ignition
R = Regulator/Rectifier
  • DH1, mjodrey, kringlecarver and 4 others have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,360 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for posting that up ,Kenny.That should help a lot of folks.

#3 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 7,137 Thanks
  • 5,092 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 07:01 AM

There are basically 2 types of switches and interchanging them can have bad results. If it has the I for ignition the switch will put 12 volts on that terminal. If it has the M for magneto it will gound that terminal to kill the engine. If you get the two confused and put 12v to a solid state ignition you will let the smoke out!!
  • DH1 and Aaron 61 have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Very true, Doug! Thanks for pointing that out. I don't have anything with that type ignition. And most switches don't have all those letters on them.
  • Aaron 61 said thank you

#5 Aaron 61 OFFLINE  

Aaron 61
  • Member No: 89125
  • 5 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 11:51 AM

I have a post up asking about ignition switches and am worried I am going to cook the wiring. My ignition switch has the letters BGMSL on it but my 1974 Gilson model 53020 manual shows a spliced end going to a the 3 way light switch. Unfortunately the manual doesnt really specify if the mag wire goes to M on the ignition or ground as it seems to show on another manual for 16 hp hydros. Just wondering if I connected it to M and tried firing it if there would be issues. Spent a bit of time and money restoring so I don't want to fry anything.

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,137 Thanks
  • 5,092 posts

Posted June 10, 2018 - 07:17 AM

The kill wire from the mag goes to the M terminal. In the off position, there should be continuity between the M and G term. In the on position, you should have no continuity from the M to any terminal.

• Aaron 61 said thank you

#7 Aaron 61 OFFLINE  

Aaron 61
  • Member No: 89125
  • 5 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 11, 2018 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for replying Doug. I checked that before I tried firing it up yesterday. The mag is spilced to my 3 way light switch and then to mag. I tried to follow my 53020 wiring schematic from the manual although it is a bit vague.So when I turned the key to the first position I tried my light switch in the down position and got lights. Then turned the lights to the up position and nothing. So turned the light switch off and turned key switch over and tractor started turning over. When I turned the key switch off the tractor continued turning over and had to pull the battery cable to stop it. Then when I tried a couple times to connect the cable it would start turning over again. The key is still off all the while. Tried 3 or 4 times and gave up. Now I tried today and no lights and won't turn over.

Edited by Aaron 61, June 12, 2018 - 08:30 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,137 Thanks
  • 5,092 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 11:02 AM

I'm not familiar with the 53020 and can't find the manual. Is this a true magneto engine or does it have auto style ignition with an extrnal coil? I can see no way you would hook a magneto wire to a light wire. You would be putting voltage to the mag which is wrong. Can you post the wiring diagram?