Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vertical Engine In Horizontal Application?!?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hey All

So I acquired 3 vertical shaft engines of various HP and make. I want to build my little guys go karts at some point and wonder if I can mount these engines so they drive horizontally? I know that I have some challenges around the fuel tank and oil reservoir, but is this possible or is it against the design of the engine?

#2 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 01:03 PM

You've hit a question that comes up time and again. Problem is that to buy a right angle gearbox to handle that rpm and torque, you'd end up spending as much as buying a horizontal. The best solution I've seen is to find a GT trans and axle which belts to a verticle shaft engine and change the pulleys for more speed. Meaning a larger pulley on the engine, smaller on the tranny, or both. Yes, the tranny will likely wear out, but not before you've had your jollies on it.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hey frenchy, Here is a link to a thread where the OP accomplished what I think you're looking to do. You could PM him and see if he can direct you to where he got his info.
  • trowel said thank you

#4 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Maybe there is a dirty way to make the vertical drive spin on a horizontal shaft without a diff? :confuse:

Something like this? http://www.kartbuild...ulley_Drive.htm

Edited by frenchy, March 21, 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 07:52 AM

A belt drive from the engine to the axle will allow for the 90* change in axis.

The belt needs to be longer to allow for the twist. ....If it is too short, it will wear quickly, so the engine needs to be further away from the driven pulley.

Twisting the belt the opposite way, will reverse the direction of rotation.

Most small vertical-shaft engines had a 7/8" crankshaft. ....A keyed pulley with a 7/8" bore is readily available. .....If you want a clutching arrangement, an idler pulley can be used to tension the belt.

I don't recall seeing a centrifugal clutch with a 7/8" bore, but maybe they exist. ...The more common sizes seem to be 3/4" or 1".

#6 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 03:44 PM

Great feedback Bruce! Thanks!

#7 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 06:47 AM

You can also rotate the belt 90* with a pair of idler pulleys in a shorter distance than putting a half twist in it.

I've seen that on a couple of snowblowers, from a horizontal engine pulley to a vertical impeller pulley.

If you move the engine ahead of the axle and lower it and run the belt to a horizontal jack shaft for the final chain drive, you can get a lower center of gravity and better weight distribution as a bonus. You might have to move the foot controls out in front of the front axle to keep the same overall length.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 07:56 AM

How about the pulley setup like whats on my tractors that turn the hoz. shaft engine to drive the deck ?

#9 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 01:28 PM

How about the pulley setup like whats on my tractors that turn the hoz. shaft engine to drive the deck ?

yeh right angle bends the best bet is to go the the scrap yard and pick up a horizontal engine from a snow blower and make a air cleaner air box also the crank shafts are 3/4 and a most vertical engines are 1'' and a cluth for a 1'' shaft is $130 and you can get a clutch for a 3/4 for $50 so you have $70 to spend on a engine chargermilles on you tube has done a vertical to horz conversion