7 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Yes I think Spring Has Sprung!! That's not to say we could not get a late frost or snow. The fall planted Garlic & Shallots are up, Chives are up. The Strawberries are up, The Horseradish is up(no sign of the Asparagus yet), The Fruit tree's are budding and I'll have to put the mower on the Murray this week(I'll leave the snow blower on the 318 for a few more weeks). There will be grass to mow by this weekend.
I added another 60 ft to the garden last fall(that makes the main patch 160X50), and I'll till that this week if we don't get too much rain. Going to have that section ready to plant potatoes Good Friday. "Haste Makes Waste" so I'm holding off on planting much for a couple weeks.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 10:08 AM

That's a big garden! Glad to hear you are getting spring weather. We are supposed to have a couple of days this week where we get up into the 60's. We can still get frost here on a regular basis into May so no plans yet to do any garden prep/planting.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yes Brian it is a big garden. Besides that patch I have another patch beside it that is 50 X 50, the wife says will be all tomatoes and herbs this year. Besides that there is another strawberry patch 50 X 50 and that will be extended out to the 160 ft and what's not in strawberries will be planted in sweetcorn. I'm still not sure it will be big enough to satisfy my wife?
We lived in town for 10 yrs and she missed her garden, so now that we are on 8.9 acres she is going a litle crazy.
She now wants me to move the 16 red rasberries down by the mini-orchard I started last year(5 apple, 1 self pollinating pear and 3 peach) I planted last year and then put black rasberries where the red's are now.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 19, 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Sounds like it sure has sprung in your area. You can't have enough garden. Sounds like yours is going to be very nice this year. I hope you don't need the 318 to blow anymore snow. Enjoy your nice weather.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 12:52 PM

I do too Dave!! But I'm not taking chances for a couple more weeks.
I have been disapointed in the 318 with blower this year. All the snow we did get was very wet and slushy and the blower just plugged up. Next year I'll have a blade mounted on the 22 hp Murray to hedge my bet.

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have been able to dodge the rain and get my garden ready. I was able to plant potatoes last weekend, and then last week I planted peas. I also went ahead and planted sweet corn and cucumbers. If a late frost bites me I'll have to plant again, but in the meantime I've gotten an early start to the summer.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Howard I have not been in NC since 1960. But would assume your far enough south east of Iowa that your sprng would normally come a few weeks earlier that it does in Iowa. I would think you should be good to go!
I won't be planting sweet corn till the first of May. There are alway a few up here that jump the gun and some get bitten.
In fact I did myself last spring and the seed rotted in the ground instead of germinating. In fact I had 3 plantings fail last year, 1 did not germinate, 1 the deer ate as soon as it came up, 1 germinated but was so thin I tilled it under and the fourth planting i got a little sweet corn .
The field was in field corn the year before and I wonder if ag chemicals used caused all the problem with germination?

It sure was an eye opener, anyone can grow corn in Iowa. But I sure had problems last year.

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 11:04 AM

We have had snow as late as mid-April, once. Of course, many years we have NO snow! It is often cold enough for snow, but no moisture in the atmosphere. I'm not really sure we've had a "killing" frost this year, though.