#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 10:11 PM

I got a neat little garden seeder, i have seen one wheel seeders like this but can not remember the Mfg, i do not know if it has any affiliations with the little Handiman GT, looks like red wheel and DB green paint poking through the hunter green, or is another model much like the chain driven Sears Handiman 980 seeder.
calumbia seeder ? looks like it could of had one handle much like a push reel mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3180006.JPG
  • P3180007.JPG
  • P3180008.JPG

Edited by trowel, March 18, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 10:31 PM

pretty sure those were made by American Fork and Hoe, right here in Iowa. The ones they sold were call Midget. There were several diffenrt models of them. Possibally they made some for Sears at one time. A 1932 catalog here shows you mounting the hoe on a high wheeled vator instead of a shovel. i have a couple of the Midget ones, their fairly hardto find.

Attached Thumbnails

• 027a.jpg

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 10:38 PM

Jeff, you got it it seems, i was typing up a PM to you but had to answer a question first.
I see the wheel is spoked were as mines is stamped but the hoppers look the same, what is that peice of metal/iron off the back of the hopper/handle, for stability while drilling, furrow closer ?
Can you post more pic's of the seeder and the handle.

Edited by trowel, March 18, 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 10:49 PM

it closes the furrow, there is only one on these instead of two like normal. i dont have any other pictures right now of them. have another one that monted on a piece of iron. ill have to get some pic's next week some time.
  • trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 10:57 PM

You got it, it is a Midget but has Handiman casted into it instead, i will have to dig a little deeper regarding that.
I look farwards to the pictures if it's not too much trouble, Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:20 AM

Hey,that is a neat little seeder.
  • trowel said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:55 AM

You both have cool seeders !!! Could you guys post a few more pictures of the seed plates and insides of the hopper ? Thanks , Al
  • trowel said thank you

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 11:15 AM

You both have cool seeders !!! Could you guys post a few more pictures of the seed plates and insides of the hopper ? Thanks , Al

Well i would but it dont have any plate. This type of seeder used a brass tube with a diamond shaped hole. There a thing on top of the star that you turn to make the hole bigger or smaller. The star on top rotates and truns the tube, something like open and closed. Theres reallt no way to get a picture of it unless you take the whole seeder apart. these seeders were made to plant very fine seeds like carrots, lettus, spinish, etc. They dont do beans or corn as the seed is to large to go though the hole.
  • Alc and trowel have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for that Information Jeff, i was wondering what the J-hook wire was for and how the cylinder worked.
I Googled the heck out the Co. you gave me and it's original Co. Standard Fork and Hoe, also Googled the heck out of the Midget seeder with no results, i wonder if the patents for the drill seeder ran out and another Co. started Mfg'ing it, the closest i came so far is picturd below.
This nifty little seeder is covered in a hunter green that the previous owner did a terrible job applying and needs to go, it seems the original paint was much like David Bradley green or Planet jr's green and the wheel was red, the seeder is stuck and may need to be disassembled and oiled, if so i will post pic's of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1_5aabcbf2fb1b74e713542ab1e142d1e2.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 01:44 AM

ya thats the name i should have used. The company was only about 45 min south of me, they because tru-temper tools later on i believe. There is a whole lot more than the seeders, as they made wheeel hoes, rakes and other hand garden tooling. There was a guy down here with a huge collection of this stuff, but i havent seen him for several yrs. I think there are 4 differnt wheel styles for the same body unit. its been a long time since i talked with people about them, as i just use mine to garden with.

Soak it in PB blaster for a while yet, then rock the J hook back and forth to loosen. Dont break the little spring inside. after you get it loose your going to have to dry it out well to get the oil out of the hopper or the seed will stick to it, i'd wash it in hot water and blow it dry. The paint on these was like the old style DB wheel and some of the early seeders, a darker green, not the lite green of the later time frame. Far as i know it was all one color......green.
  • trowel said thank you

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for that Jeff, any information regarding this interesting little seeder will be greatly appreciated, i search Google Patents regarding all the designers and Patent holder with no results.
Correct me if im wrong, im thinking this is something Sears & Roebuck may have marketed due to the Handiman Name, instead of Handyman with a Y it's spelled with an I ,leading me to think of the little DB Handiman GTs.

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Took a few hours of patience working and it's apart, i see how the spring works now.
Alc, the hole on the bottem of the tube that is half open is another small tube that the J-hook raises and lowers opening and closing the hole.
Better pictures next.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3220030.JPG
  • P3220032.JPG
  • P3220033.JPG