coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:33 PM

After an all day road trip the D200 is at it new home. It truely is a shattered gem. It has sat in a shed for about 15 years with the rear end torn out of it. The PO busted the diff in it and had taken apart to repair it. He never got around to it, although he had some of the replacement parts. The PO died several years ago and his son had to get rid of the tractor because the shed was falling in and nobody wanted the tractor. It took us about 3.5 hours to get up there (did I mention my lovely wife went with me and had fun). The drive was beautiful, didnt realize Roanoke was in the mountains, my wife loves the mountains. The GPS took us straight to his house, he (the son) greeted us and made us feel at home. We talked a little then he took me to see the gem. Even with its rearend torn out and the sheet metal pieces laying around it, I knew I had a keeper. He had rigged up a rear axle out of threaded rod and some cheap wheels. We had to pull it up the drive way with the truck, did i mention Roanoke was in the mountains? We got it to the road and hooked the trailer back up and loaded the tractor on it. Then we started hauling parts and boxes from the basement up to the truck. Everything for the tractor and rearend was there, bolts, nuts, bits and pieces. During this time we talked alot, we are both in the same industry and had a few stories to share. It made the trip much more personable that way. Anyway it took us a little longer since we had to go back a different way to pick up the kids at the inlaws. I finally got home and had a chance to look over the tractor a little more carefully, I checked the hour meter. It has only 200 hours on it and i believe it. The other goodies that came with it are:

Rear PTO
Turning brakes
Original luxury seat with no tears
Complete 3PTH including factory toplink
1975 accessories brochure
Even the dash light is still there.

The D 200 was top of the line at the time, it came standard with all the options available.

On to the pics.
DSCF2801.JPG DSCF2793.JPG DSCF2794.JPG DSCF2795.JPG DSCF2796.JPG DSCF2797.JPG DSCF2798.JPG DSCF2799.JPG DSCF2800.JPG
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Nice story and my goodness thats a clean D. Well worth the trip id say. Look forward to you getting it running and driving.
  • coldone said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Very nice D-200. It is going to make you a great tractor with lots of power to do anything. Is that the one that was on CL?
  • coldone said thank you

#4 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Glade you got it and I'm glade it was not closer to me
looks like you got a good project
  • coldone said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Great story! And great find! Looks like one nice GT! Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress. :thumbs:
  • coldone said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for taking us on your trip. The 200 looks great, will the rear end be a hard fix?
  • coldone said thank you

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Loved the story! My wife and I sat here and read it together...and had fun! Looks like you got a fantastic project to keep you busy! Can't wait to see her up and running! Congrats on a nice score and glad to hear that the trip was good and most of all that you and your wife had fun together (it is a hobby after all!) :thumbs:
  • coldone said thank you

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Awesome haul coldone, keep up the great work. Can't wait for the build thread on this one. :)
  • coldone said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 11:52 PM

A great find and only 200 hours. That was really nice of the guy to get it mobile for you. Saved a lot of effort to move it. Thanks for the story.
  • coldone said thank you

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:18 AM

Congratulations on getting it home. You may have mentioned it,but what's with the tiny rear wheels and tires ?
  • coldone said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Nice tractor there, coldone. Best of luck getting it fixed. Cool way to get it movable. I believe the hour meter is correct from the looks of things. Glad you got to take the wife to the mountains, makes for an enjoyable trip.
  • coldone said thank you

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 07:36 AM

Congratulations on your very nice D200. It sounds like you got it just in time before the elements destroyed the shed. It looks to be in great shape.
  • coldone said thank you

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 07:47 AM

@TDH, yep its the one I posted about. I just wanted the 3PH and made an offer for it. The guy is not a tractor guy and said that he didnt know anything about the hitch and coouldnt begin to take it apart and get all the parts to me. Then he uttered the dreaded words that is all of our tractor nuts kryptonite "Its probably just going to the scrap yard if it doesnt sell soon". We worked out a price and a date.

@MH81, I dont know how hard it will be to fix. From just a quick look over of parts, the spider gears for the diff are shot along with one of the "side plate" and one axle has the splines boggered up. Found some parts on ebay but I really need to get the manual for the tranny before I start ordering stuff. Plus I have to get the snapper 1650 finished before I start on this one.

@mjodrey, the rearend has been out of it for several years. They had to get it mobil so it could be moved, so they used threaded rod and some solid tires to get it moving. Or the other version I like is that it was being setup for drag racing :D

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Gonna make one hoss of a tractor! One can see it is a low hour machine. The rear was kind of weak for the tractor on these.
  • coldone said thank you

#15 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:57 AM

What a great find! That GT is in awesome shape! I can not wait to see the rebuild. Good luck with it.

Geno
  • coldone said thank you