• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:01 PM

I pulled out the sad model D today to see where the starting place was. I think with some work it could be a runner again.031.JPG 029.JPG 027.JPG 026.JPG 025.JPG 024.JPG

Also some pictures of the seeder unit i plan to redo to put with this tractor. Never have figured out who built it, but its cool looking and came with a Simpplicity hitch, which seems to be missing at the moment.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:14 AM

I think you can get 'er working again.

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Very cool, im looking farwards to this with great anticipation, do you plan on planting with it this spring ?
I posted my PJ in the garden section along with a unknown drill seeder, im hoping you may know what the Mfg is ?

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 02:50 AM

No planting will be done with this unit, it will become another show queen. The reasoning is i have many other working seeders and dont really need to test out more.

I have the engine, and most of the other little parts lined up for this tractor. right now im trying to get the hub junk off the axils. I found the inner parts to the hubs, so i really only need to find the dog drive outer ones. i going to bring home a huge gear puller from work and see if i can just force the welded units for the axil and start over. Should only take a big weekend to do the whole machine, as it a pretty simple tractor and dont have a lot of parts. It going to look way cool when i mount up the 4x12 knobbies to the rims, and get the former DB "N" engine set in place. I just hope i have the correct size fuel tank sitting on the shelf some place.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 07:28 PM

That's very cool, im really looking forwards to the restore.
I know next to nothing about these seeders so this is a new ride for me.

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 10:04 PM

0324021451a.jpg Alrighty now, after a long first day, the tractor and seeder have been stripped down, blasted, the handles repaired, the gear box cleaned and regreased, and the parts are primed and hanging on the paint line. Had my son take a few pictures of the progress. tomorrow i will see if we can start the final paint, and finish blasting the tiny parts of the seeder. I havent started the engine part yet so that will have to wait until next weekend.0324021451.jpg 0324021450.jpg
  • trowel said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 01:23 PM

Ok lots of good progress was made in the last couple of weekends on the Simplicity and its seeder unit. Most parts are now blasted and painted, just trying to repair the bad spots and get all the correct items together for final assembly. Check out the cool brass slide gates that sit under the hopper base, soild brass not just plated parts. Might get the tire mounted today and bolted to the hubs so i can wheel it around some. Very awkwards to handle it with out the wheels on.

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 006.JPG

• Littledeere said thank you

#8 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 02, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thats looking very good seeing guys like you
working on these make me want to get into
some of my tractors and attachments

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 12:39 AM

Well by all means let me incourage you to start today.

Nothing finer than a good weekend of blasting repairing painting and reassembling the past. So far ive got 2 weekends on it, and less than $100 in materials, like paint sand and small parts. Dang inner tubes cost me $14 per and i decided to have the local shop mount them, as their machine is better than mine, so that cost me another $13. But i was well worth it, as they have a rim clamp unit that dont tear the paint off like my old one will.

i'll try to get more pic's up, now that i have the wheels on and the seeder mounted to the frame. Got a lot of adjusting to do to get all the parts to work smooth, and am trying to figure outthe missing parts here and there. Another week or so and ill start the motor part. Have to change the plan on that as my orginal type has developed some problem and wont be able to work out for the project. The new repalcement will be a model 6 briggs if i can figure out how to mount a round tank to the fan housing.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well its weekend # 3 and we havent gotten a lot farther along, by do have the tires on and the seeder mounted. need a lot of adjusting to get the items all in the right places. I took it out doors for a few pictures::simp D 001.JPG simp D 002.JPG simp D 003.JPG simp D 004.JPG

On the motor, i have now found another good N unit from a donor DB tractor. With the removel of the air cleaner assembly, changing to the fan shroud with a tank bracketed one, i will be able to come real close to what the orginal one looked like. As i dont know the correct model number for the orginal one, ill have to wing it. I decide to take aprt this unit and rebuilt it with gaskets and rings. After some seriuos cleaning and pianting , we'll get some photos up of the complete tractor soon.

#11 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,161 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Looking good is this one going to get to see Evansville in June?

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 07:48 AM

Wow,man that is looking really good.

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 04:31 PM

well i might get it down there, but i havent picked the final lineup yet. So many choices and only so much room in the trailer. The physical size of the 37 Handiman would mean about 3 of something would have to sit it out. i have a couple more projects i want to get done yet this season, so maybe it would be one of them.

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Great strides were made here today with the 1946 model N briggs being fired up. It seems to be stuck at maxium rpms right now. Not sure if the gov went bad, or if the linkage is wrong. Got most of the parts ready for painting, and assemble. Couldnt find an orginal fuel tank for it, so im going to mount a DB one in its place. Didnt have time to picure any of the process today, but ill try and get some Weds, when i start assembling it, finish cleaning it, and get the painting parts done. So far we have taken a 1946 N briggs from a DB tractor, removed the curved airtube assemble, to be replaced with a shorter stand out unit, replaced the orginal fan shroud, with one using a fuel tank mounting.

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 11, 2012 - 01:52 PM

Ok todays pic's of the engine mounted, and the tank sat in place temporarly. Got it to run , by adjust some of the many(5) places one has to speed it up and slow it down. The gov seems to be a little sticky but at least i can get some low rpms now. Also found that this model has to be hooked up to a throttle cable to keep it out of the high end of the scale.simp d 001.JPG simp d 002.JPG simp d 003.JPG