#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Ok went back though the files here and the maker of the muffler is: Doug Weingart, Bridgman, MI I got his phone number that i wont post here if someone is interested in getting one or some of the other DB repo items he makes. Pm me if you want the details on this item.

I fixed one for Kevins model 99 earlier this spring, it was the original one with the slight S-shape but the muffler was shot, he had a NOS muffler and i welded it on, the reprodution one that is currently on the 99 was blown out and a hair too long, will be fixing it some day with another muffler.

#17 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 11:10 AM

On the mufflers, I have never seen one bent like the repops? All the pics I have ever seen show a longer version of the standard pipe that has a tweak to it to aim it at the hole???

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Yes, it is aimed in the same direction, originated from the DB walk behinds exit hole in the hood, Lauber posted above of a collector that Mfg's repops of this, if you shoot him a PM he will give you the needed info to contact the individual if your interested in one.

Now that the question has come up i will be re-mufflering a repop my uncle bought from the guy 10 years ago, when i repaire it i'll post pictures of it.

Edited by trowel, March 21, 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#19 chicguy OFFLINE  

chicguy

• Member No: 8568
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 12:12 AM

I need to get one of those mufflers. My Model 8 has a broken exhaust port that I am having grazed back on. I am trying to buy a Model N for my other DB.

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 02:29 AM

you can probally have all you need from Dougie. pm me and ill give your his phone number and you can talk with him about them.

#21 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Lauber,
Good to see you out and about.
You don't really think it is safe to plant yet do you?
I fired the Plow Trac up last weekend Just to hear it run.
Started on the 3rd pull, not bad since I forgot to put the choke on.
Mower still needs a bushing and linkage but will then be ready to go.
Any good ideas on a place to look for tires for the Bradley basket case?

#22 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 12:35 AM

Lauber,
Good to see you out and about.
You don't really think it is safe to plant yet do you?
I fired the Plow Trac up last weekend Just to hear it run.
Started on the 3rd pull, not bad since I forgot to put the choke on.
Mower still needs a bushing and linkage but will then be ready to go.
Any good ideas on a place to look for tires for the Bradley basket case?

Wells im always out and about doing something. I dont know if we're planting just yet but the ground is ready to plow, so we shall plow it. have had a couple of tractors running fresh out of the shed. My son thinks he wants to plow this wekend so we will see how that works out. I my self plan to restore most of the model D simplicity......more on that over in its post tomorrow.

on the tires..........Sear was real big on "Used Auto Tires". So much so that they trade marked that slogan. All Db tractors( and other farm equipment) came out with bare rims and you had to either buy the knobby or ag tires extra, or go to your local tire dealer and see if he had any spent car ones. Since this was long ago and 16" tires arent found on cars any more, its a little more difficult to do. The db is a tough tractor and will plow fairly well on bald tires, and better with just a pair of chains installed, which are fairly easy to come by. Other than that, unless your building a show machine, you really dont need to have bar lug ones, as the new ones are pretty costy.

#23 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 05:14 AM

I need to get one of those mufflers. My Model 8 has a broken exhaust port that I am having grazed back on. I am trying to buy a Model N for my other DB.

I have the exact same problem. After I get my Model 8 motor back I will have to use a short muffler on it so I don't break the block again.

#24 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 07:10 AM

I have the exact same problem. After I get my Model 8 motor back I will have to use a short muffler on it so I don't break the block again.

Humm, this seems to be a common problem ? im starting to hear this more offten then not.
Jeff, has a lot of DB collectors have the same problem with the re-pops being a little too long?
My uncle's re-pop broke because he had to, could not get the hood open on the 99, hood needs fixing now too.

http://mypeoplepc.co...yparts/id3.html

Edited by trowel, March 24, 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#25 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 04:28 PM

I think what happens the hood falls on the muffler and breaks the block.

#26 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Thats not good, the re-pops are not 100 % right but for the most part are dead on and very good quality, i have heard of lenth issues but only a few cases, happens sometimes, my uncle had to reach under the hood and force the muffler up to be able to open the hood, this also happen to Steve and Charly.
If someone had a set of pipe dies they could shorten the threaded end by a inch or so and re-tap with the die, i have been thinking of doing that but my uncle is trying to convince me to make one following the original to a T, too bad i don't have the forge anymore.

Edited by trowel, March 24, 2012 - 05:24 PM.