sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Okay....got a little time on one of my BH today.....techumseh 10hp....rebuilt the carb......fairly easy to start.....got to get the muffler replaced........a little rough running....with some backfire when reving high....

Anyway was having a hard time getting it in gear.....so I pulled the top to see what I could see......

Looks like a po did some creative engineering......have my other d4-10 so may need to use it as a donor right now......Daniel after seeing the picture.....this something I can buy, repair??, get off another type GT??

Will take any guidance.....I am looking at another BH so trying to learn what to look for in the transmission area.....what is a deal breaker here and how can I tell/see it??

Pictures attached....let me know what you can see please.......thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• D4 10 Gear Box3.jpg
  • D4 10 Gear Box2.jpg

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Scott,

Is this the tractor that was at my house? I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask. Did you ever figure out what the problems was with the transmission on the tractor that I picked up for you? I can't help you out with your problem, but I was just curious to see what the problem was, and if you get it fixed?

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Troy this was the other one I picked up on that trip.....I am going to pull the top of the one I picked up from you tomorrow to compare......definitely our problem that night when it was locked up was because it was frozen....after I got it back....it rolled off the trailer with no resistance.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:05 PM

So that must be the shift fork that is rigged up? Wish I could help, but I am not familiar with that trans.

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well I took this transaxle part today. Daniel has mentioned before about damaged a cluster gear being a possible issue with these old bush hogs. Here is a picture of a bad and good cluster gear.

image.jpg
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Boy Scott, The one you removed is really chewed up. I would make sure you wash everything out really good before you put it back together, I would hate to think about all those shavings still floating around in the gearbox.

Glad you have a spare cluster to put back in it. Can you post some more pictures of all the internals, I know I will be going thru a couple of them in my near future.

#7 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Being that I've just taken apart mine and it's fresh in the mind, boy that's in rough shape!

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Boy Scott, The one you removed is really chewed up. I would make sure you wash everything out really good before you put it back together, I would hate to think about all those shavings still floating around in the gearbox.

Glad you have a spare cluster to put back in it. Can you post some more pictures of all the internals, I know I will be going thru a couple of them in my near future.

It was a spare transaxle I took apart and there were some fairly large slivers in the bottom. But what I am seeing is the two gears to be worried about are the cluster gear and the ring gear on the differential. I have 2 ring gears messed up and only 1 new old stock to fix it.
Looks like my other d4-10 parts tractor may be donating parts of its rear end if they are good. Ugh! I was not wanting to pull another transaxle off!

reardifferentialdamaged.JPG

Edited by sacsr, January 26, 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:21 PM

We need to locate more parts machines.

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:32 PM

We need to locate more parts machines.

Yep.....I am using up certain parts on my spares pretty quick!! I was just taking this apart so I could store the "good stuff" and decide what to do with the rest......then realized my other two transmissions needed the same ring gear.

More parts tractors please..... :rocker:

Edited by sacsr, January 26, 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#11 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'll see if I have anything extra to help you out. One question I have is about the snap rings in the side axles, what do you use to replace them? Regular C clips?

#12 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Being that I've just taken apart mine and it's fresh in the mind, boy that's in rough shape!

Yep, that is why I was not using this transaxle, when I originally opened it up and saw the cluster gear, I decided to use another spare transaxle instead of trying to work on this one. But my memory says the transmission was working except for the cluster gears not doing its part well......I may keep that ring gear as a back up just in case.

#13 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'll see if I have anything extra to help you out. One question I have is about the snap rings in the side axles, what do you use to replace them? Regular C clips?

I have not replaced any bearings or seals, the two transmission I have torn apart, are not back together.....I will probably try to reuse what I have unless some one has a better idea. It is something I am going to have to do real soon. My rusty D4-10 has a leaking rear axle that will need to be done.

#14 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Those rings were a pain to take out, mine were rusted and one bearing was gone, I took a photo of what's left of the bearing.  So I had to pop the bearing out since I am doing a full restore on mine. 

The rings wouldn't come out without a fight and in the end, ended up getting bent and likely unusable. I have a spare 7 &10 for parts thankfully.

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Peter, Go by Fastnal or NAPA and they should be able to fix you up with the right snap rings.

• sacsr said thank you