5 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,453 Thanks
  • 6,344 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Tires on my 1655 are Huge! 26 x 12 x 12. Bigger than most GT's have. Is there such thing as Used tires in that size? Anyone have some for sale, close to IN? I took one in to shop, all cracked up and they put in a tube, still holds. Cracks widened up some, ha! Other one, which held air for awhile, was even worse when they dismounted. They wouldn't fix that one, so brought it home. SO, now looking for a tire to put on, Just to push it around while I work on it or to store. I'm aware of new ones, but not sure I want turfs, thinking Bar Ags, and they are $140 each. Can't spend that now, and will be awhile before it's running again anyway. I have some six-bolt wheels of my PK, but they are even bigger with 31" x 15 tires! Guess I'll be using one of those wheels for moment to move it out of driveway.

#2 Hammer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Check on eBay, seen a few sets on there.

#3 motobreeder OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 11:00 PM

I've found it really rough to find usable used GT tires. Most people put them on and take them off when they fall off the rims.

On the other hand, if you are looking for temporary tires, you should be able to find ATV tires in that size - 26x12x12. ATV folks will replace their tires - just because. I often see used ATV tires for under $20 per tire.

Sorry - no help with the big wheel tractors.

#4 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,398 Thanks
  • 4,609 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 05:48 AM

Yeah, 26x12x12 tire are gonna be costly no matter what.

I went with ATV tires for my 1886. It had a pair of mis-matched, pretty well worn out turfs on the rear, and I wanted something MUCH more aggressive since it has a loader on it.

I started searching, and finally decided on a pair of CST Ancla tires. They are REALLY aggressive!

The good thing about ATV tires is that they are cheaper than "Tractor" tires, and have a super wide range of tread options as to just how aggressive a tread you can get.

I got mine from here:

They had the best price I could find on them after about 3 hrs of searching the net.

There is also a guy in Tiffin, OH (about a 2 1/2-3 Hr drive for you), that has advertised used Bolens tire/wheels on eBay at times. He MAY have something that would work for you.

Check your PMs as I'll send you contact info for him there.

Here's what the Anclas look like on the 1886

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4094.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 18, 2012 - 05:55 AM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Those ATV tires on your Bolens resemble AG bar tires. I'm sure they do a fine job. The cost of tires is a real eye opener when you start to do a restoration on an old tractor. Even the smaller ones for the rear are pretty pricey these days. The rear ones on my MF8 are from 1975 but are still holding air to spite the cracks. Locally, the cost for a 20" turf tire is outrageous and mail order or used is the only choice.

#6 timtractor OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:50 AM

I would talk to someone you know that uses a Ditch Witch or Vermer diggers or trenchers. The smaller models of them have that size of tire.