• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 05:26 PM

I have been working on the 8 and found both safety switches were not working. I took them apart and repaired them. Heres some photos. I first pried up three sides of the rolled over switch case to remove the back board with the terminals on it. I used a pair of small diagonal wire cutters. In the first 2 pictures you can see the dirt or bits of the back board on the contacts. It doesn't look like much but it was enough to keep the switch from making any sort of reliable contact.

DSCF7309.jpg DSCF7312.jpg

I cleaned the contacts with a metal polish then rinsed them with alcohol to remove any of the polish residue which can be corrosive. I reassembled it carefully using the vice to bend the bottom flaps back down.

DSCF7316.jpg DSCF7320.jpg

In the last picture you can see the results on the meter which is in delta mode where it is measuring the resistance of the switch compared to the leads alone. It's measuring -.01 ohms which is indicating that the switch has less resistance than the leads alone. This impossibility is due to the fact that it is very hard to make precise measurements of very small resistances. Even changing the position of the leads will cause a small change. This wasn't hard to do and only took about 1/2 hour for both switches. Well worth doing as I'm not sure these switches are available new and if so will likely be pricey.

DSCF7317.jpg
  • MH81, HDWildBill and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Very nice work Brian! I've done that a few times...usually out of necessity out in the middle of the yard or under a time constraint! they look great and will likely serve you for many, many years to come!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Looking good Brian. Glad to see they shined up that nice!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 06:37 AM

I wanted to make sure I took some pictures for others who have bad switches but aren't sure what's involved with taking them apart. This was much easier than the PTO switch on the 314. There are no flying springs or parts when you take it apart. The hardest part is unfolding the metal bottom flaps. I have a nice blood blister on my thumb where the pliers got it.LOL
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 07:14 AM

I wanted to make sure I took some pictures for others who have bad switches but aren't sure what's involved with taking them apart. This was much easier than the PTO switch on the 314. There are no flying springs or parts when you take it apart. The hardest part is unfolding the metal bottom flaps. I have a nice blood blister on my thumb where the pliers got it.LOL

Yes, thanks those pics will help if I can get this one home
2012031220120312_01_03.JPG

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yes, thanks those pics will help if I can get this one home
2012031220120312_01_03.JPG

Boy that's a challenge! It looks worse than mine did. They are a really sturdy built little tractor. The weight is listed as 505 lbs for the electric start version including the small deck. That's probably more than most of the much larger tractors sold in the box stores these days.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Brian, that is good info.