• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm working on my 1938 Handiman R/T 4 wheeled tractor and was wodering if anyone knew where I could find some pictures of the frame without an engine or hood on it. Mine has a lot of crap welded on and I want to cut it off so it can be restored, but dont want to cut the wrong things off. If anyone has some pics or knows where I can find some it would be apreciated. As soon as i get the camera out i'll try to get some pics of it. Thanks in advance

#2 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Got the camera going. Heres some pics of it
handiman 001.jpg
handiman 002.jpg
handiman 003.jpg

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:25 PM

wow, too bad the tires went south as they looked to be the orginal ones and not found today. I cant think of any of my freinds who have sent me pics of the bare frame, but i can see a lot of wrong things on it. Is there a tag? that going to be fun it get all the parts together.

Welcome to the site, this should be a good project ot watch.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 04:46 AM

diesel nut,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
Thanks for the photos,she looks a little rough around the edges.

#5 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 04:06 PM

wow, too bad the tires went south as they looked to be the orginal ones and not found today. I cant think of any of my freinds who have sent me pics of the bare frame, but i can see a lot of wrong things on it. Is there a tag? that going to be fun it get all the parts together.

Welcome to the site, this should be a good project ot watch.

Thanks for the welcome. The tires most likely are original cause the tubes were the old red synthetic rubber, but miller tire has the right size with the same tread but no knobs on it. If thats all I can find I'll live with it. Right now I have a set of mounted 18" and 24" tires that I'm going to try to put on so it can be moved. Which ever fits on eaiser I'll use. The tag is still there and can be read. Tha number is 917.5155 and ser. is 2526.

diesel nut,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
Thanks for the photos,she looks a little rough around the edges.

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah its rough but that makes it more fun to work on. Now that I have it inside at work it shouldnt take to loong to get it going. Putting the motor back together now so maybe by the end of the month I can drive it around

#6 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Got an update. I was going to pick up some parts for work today and decided to take a diffrent route than normal, and going past one house behind the garage there was another handiman. The owner was home so I stopped and talked to him for about an hour. He didnt want ot sell it but was kind enough to let me look at it and take some pictures. He said he bought it off craigslist about a year ago and hadn't ever seen another one like it. I was shocked when I found out how he found it because he lives about 20 miles from my house and I check craigslist almost every day and never saw it listed. I now know after looking at his that everything welded on mine that I wasnt sure about has to come off. And as I was leaving he told me that if I decide I want a hood for mine I can come back and make some patterns from his hood.

#7 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:26 PM

That is awesome to have found another one to get some info and pictures! Looks like you have a good project on your hands. Good luck and keep us posted.

Geno

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Great news, now you know what it SHOULD look like!

Please keep us updated with pics & info, love to see the old ones come back to life.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Nice, a R/T, not often you see one, this will be interesting to see, Hey, Welcome to GT Talk, thanks for showing us the pic's.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 05:47 AM

Glad you found one close by to figure yours out with. Good luck with it!

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 05:54 AM

Can't wait to see more photos of it. (hint)

#12 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the intrest in my tractor. Heres some pics of the engine. Its a Briggs model Z. I'm working on getting it running right now so it can be moved when I get tires on the back of the tractor. The last pic is of the rust remover that i'm using to clean the block up. It works real good. Tractor supply has it by the gallon for about $22briggs z 002.jpg briggs z 006.jpg briggs z 009.jpg briggs z 010.jpg briggs z 016.jpg briggs z 018.jpg
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the pics. Glad to know that rust remover works. Might need it some time.

#14 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Sorry its been so long since I updated. Between work and a bunch of home problems I havent had time. But I finally got some time and now its almost done. Had the engine running saturday afternoon and it fired up on the second crank. Got the tires on and some of the stuff cut off that was added before. The tires came off a farmall cub that we broke up for parts at work. It takes a flat belt to drive it and when the other engine was put in the belt was shortend about a foot. Had a customer see it at work today and said he changed the belts on his hesston round baler and kept the old ones, and if I wanted I could come get a section to make a new belt. It has to be cut cause its 6 inches wide and this takes 2 inch belt but thats easy to do. He even has the crimping tool to put the connector on the end of it. Hopefully I can get it moving on its own in the next week so I can take it to the Bernardston engine show on Memorial day weekend. handiman 010.jpg handiman 024.jpg handiman 030.jpg handiman 029.jpg handiman 033.jpg

Edited by diesel nut, May 08, 2012 - 09:51 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Your getting a good start on the project. You wont like the flat belt with the splice in it and the pulleys wont either. The trouble come from the short radius going over the pulleys. It will beat the splice apart in a short time. What you need a a flat endless belt like we use on the fan drive of a semi tractor. I'll look it up later this week as to the excat size the orginal one was, and you just go to your local auto parts store and tell them you need a belt so wide and long. they have books listing every belt made by places like goodyear, etc. I did this with my 37 WT and it works perfect. You must also turn the belt over and run the flat side against the pulleys, as the grooved side grips to hard.