• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mnym8kr26 OFFLINE  

mnym8kr26
  • Member No: 9057
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 04:05 AM

Hello friends, I recently stumbled upon this old beauty in the dumpster at my local storage unit. I loaded it up and quickly brought it home to start researching its history. Dille McGuire started manufacturing push mowers in 1874 and launched a global marketing and sales campaign in 1890. This means that all mowers produced between 1874-1889 were only sold in the US. There were three different mowers produced in 1885, this one is a Diamond model, listed as their high grade unit with ball bearing operation. Here are some pics for you guys to enjoy, it still works too!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,625 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:37 PM

I thought this beauty deserved it's own thread! That was a great save! Congrats!

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,823 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 10:40 PM

Thanks a bunch, seems not very many people like those old reel mowers, i have a pile of them, my mother only uses a push reel i sharpen for her, an older Great States.
Thanks for saving the Dille, i passed this thread many times today but if i had known it was a Dille i would of posted sooner, it is beutifull, you need to coat it with oil and lightly rub Boiled linseed oil onto the handle.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:55 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

Neat old mower.I have one that looks very similar to yours.I can't remember the name right off the top of my head,but it was built in 1875 in Quebec,Canada.

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,345 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Great find!! I like the older yard tools......I have a Dilly Buton clinton powered trimmer from the 50's.....any chance the dilly and dille are some how connected??

#6 mnym8kr26 OFFLINE  

mnym8kr26
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thank you for the compliments. I was quite impressed to find this mower without damage or abuse considering it was in the trash. I can only imagine how it was treated on its way to the dumpster, this is just another testament to the quality and durability of old American made products. My employer has an extensively decorated house with a heavy western theme and he won't leave me alone about it, any ideas what this is worth?

Another member, redcarkids, posted some great pics of advertising literature for this Diamond model Dille Mcguire in another thread.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I found this one on the net:
Posted Image

Edited by mnym8kr26, March 20, 2012 - 06:08 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 244 Thanks
  • 470 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Great looking mower there and great save. I have been researching my old sales catalog from the early 1900's and have found model that looks like your in color. I am not sure on some things so don't call me a expert. I have a photo of a model by Dille and Mcguire called the Glide- style x. This came out of a salesman catalog from maybe late 1890's to early 1900's. No date on the catalog. I do know its after 1893 because we have photos in the catalog og the World's Fair where the mowers were used for promotional purposes. The Name Diamond has been used by the company all the way up to the 60's. My catalog has about 18 reel models in it. The diamond model does not look anything like your. I believe a handle change may have taken place at some time. We have models with handles that say diamond also but the reel mower don't look like the Diamond model. I will try to attach photos shortly after I scan them into my computer. I also question the 1885 number. It may be a part number? Again I am no expert. love the photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg

#8 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 244 Thanks
  • 470 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Is the 14 on the cutter bar? If it is then measure the bar. If it is 14 inches then you have the 14 inch cut. If you notice they made this model in various sizes, The wheels are the way to identify the mower. Rubber slip ons came into play in the 30's and solid rubber wheels came in in the 40's. Steel wheels were in use from the the begining but the early models were solid wheels, Such as the Diamond model, as they progressed they designed the wheels to help sell the mower. Any question I will be glad to help and inform anyone what i know.

#9 mnym8kr26 OFFLINE  

mnym8kr26
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Thank you for the information, I think this is a Glide- Style X model now too. The wheels look identical, and yes, it is a 14" cut. You also stated that the handles may say diamond, I can faintly see some lettering but it is hard to identify.

Edited by mnym8kr26, March 20, 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,318 Thanks
  • 4,048 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Welcome to GTt!! thanks for the history and Great save :thumbs: I also found one in the trash a few years back and gave it to my dad. It is sad how people can just toss a great old piece of equipment and history in the trash. :(

#11 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 244 Thanks
  • 470 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:13 AM

Here is a link to another post that has some color catalog photos of more reel mowers. http://gardentractor...chmond-indiana/

#12 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,409 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Great save! This is just a throw away world and we can only save so much old iron. I do my part in the save.

Geno
  • trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,823 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 22, 2012 - 08:51 AM

Geno, the DB you saved says it all, thank you.

Usually after a value price of a Antuque is asked i never come back to the thread but this is something i collect too.
A Blair 16 inch cut from the Springfield, Ma plant, the late 20's when they started using hard rubber.
Thank for all the information guys, i was a little shady on the history of Gill.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3210020.JPG
  • P3210021.JPG

#14 mnym8kr26 OFFLINE  

mnym8kr26
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 04:17 AM

Trowel,

My apologies for inquiring on the value of my mower. To understand me a bit better....I'm 31 and single taking care of my sick parents, I'm living back in their house and have a small room. Without saying anymore, I don't have room for this thing but I don't feel like just giving it away.

#15 gstock07 OFFLINE  

gstock07
  • Member No: 10246
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hello i have a mower just like this just got it and was wondering how much it is worth? I cannot seem to find a price on the internet. Also doesnt have spokes in the wheels its just a brass or copper rim. Can some one help me out?