• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 05:45 PM

So we recently bought a new Honda 3400 watt generator with the inverter to run electronics etc during a power outage, of which we see many every Winter. Our old unit, a 20 year old Generac, that we bought at Costco, had been a great unit but had a violent sine wave! Still, it runs saws and all just fine and I thought it'd make an excellent "around the farm" rig. How to move it around easily though.........? hmmmmm.......... Then I came up with this.......... I mounted that generator to a pallet and now it has become the incredible "Flying generator!" Read my lips "I will struggle no longer........ Hauling heavy things around the property will now be fun!"

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1002.jpg
  • 100_1003.jpg
  • 100_1005.jpg

Edited by tractorbeam, March 16, 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 06:48 PM

That's a cool idea. I have a friend who mounted his to a homemade cart with 24" wheels off of a wheel chair on the front and skids on the rear. It has wheel barrow handles at the rear also. Whatever makes it easier to get around when you need it!

#3 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm going to put sides on the two ends for tossing tools on there like a drill, skillsaw cord and a work light etc.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Pretty good Idea.

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Now that is to COOL, And you can take almost anywhere.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hey,what a great idea.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Great idea Tractorbeam. Have you ever considered a pto driven generator. I see you have a JD compact tractor. I'm running a 2320 myself and have a 7kw pto generator that I use for emergencies. It has wheels on it so it's easy to move around.

#8 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:07 AM

I wanted to go that way, but the power can go out for up to a week at a time here, and as a person who grow up without power..... (we didn't get power until 1983) I can get by with the bare minimum, so I didn't want to have to run the tractor and rack up the hours and fuel cost. That Honda with the inverter, can be run at quarter throtttle and my gosh it goes for hours on a gallon of fuel and it's so quiet. I could go without the TV having not had growing up, but the wife being from the big city you know................. :smilewink:

Edited by tractorbeam, March 17, 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:26 AM

Those inverter gensets are the answer for a load that is low on average with occasional peaks in demand. A conventional 2 pole 3600 rpm generator can drive you nuts just with the noise alone let alone the fuel consumption. We only loose power occasionally here and the longest it's been out is about 4-5 days. I run at about 2.5l/hr fuel consumption on the 2320 and the 7kw is large enough to run the well pump which is the essential item during an outage. I have been thinking about picking up a small inverter in the 1500w range to supplement the big generator for when we only need a small amount of power. I got the pto generator for a really good price, barely used, so I couldn't pass it up. The fellow who had it went to a permanently installed diesel genset and just wanted to get rid of it.

#10 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:38 AM

I tried so hard to sell the wife on one of those Lister diesel gen sets but she was not impressed. I'll always be on the lookout for a PTO generator, but around here, as is the case with pick ups, they are just a bit too expensive gosh darn it! You out to throw up some pictures of your generator set up you lucky dawg! How many Hp is your 2320?

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 12:36 PM

I found a few pictures of it from 2010 when I first got it. It's attached to the 2320 in the pictures. I normally would have the hitch up when running it. The 2320 is a 24hp Yanmar with 18hp at the pto. The generator is rated at 7Kw at 540rpm -11hp required for full output. I think I payed 700$ for it including the pto shaft!
It's worked fine when I've had to use it.

DSCF3363.JPG DSCF3365.JPG

#12 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 06:55 PM

That's a pretty darn sweet outfit.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 08:31 PM

I thought about getting a pto generator, but when powering our farm 15 days with a pto generator behind our Massey MF1100 & blowing a radiator core, melting down our engine, I decided I wanted a newer gas powered generator with low oil shutdown. I got to thinking about how in a long term outage, if needing power all night, the garden tractor I would power a small pto generator with would not have low oil shutdown, nor a overheat shutdown. I didn't want to risk it.