• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 04:06 PM

i think i killed the trans in my 67 jacobsen cheif 1000 ,not sure though can anyone help me? i cant find any gears with the shifter. any idea on what i broke? i was plow a brush plie when it stopped moving

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 05:23 PM

What unit do you have a hydro trans or a manual?

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 05:33 PM

I just read your other post. sounds like you have the manual trans. there is a great repair manual in our manuals section. go to manuals, click on transmissions, then on page 2 there is a great Techumseh technitians manual, the 2 manuals below it (peerless 2300 series) are the same as this one but this is even better. sounds like something broke or came loose on the shifter fork. If fork is moving then you might have snapped the input shaft (worse case) we just had a member do that to one of those trans.But download the book as it has great info on how to rebuild and also has trouble shooting. Good luck!

#4 tractorbeam OFFLINE  

tractorbeam
  • Member No: 9017
  • 25 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 05:52 PM

i think i killed the trans in my 67 jacobsen cheif 1000 ,not sure though can anyone help me? i cant find any gears with the shifter. any idea on what i broke? i was plow a brush plie when it stopped moving

I had a simular problem with my toyota truck. Turns out it was the top seal that had deteriated and was falling down inside the shift mechanism. Not sure if this is you, but I hope it something simple like that. Any pictures of the Jake? Bet it's a dandy!

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:11 PM

its manual starts right up and runs great just dont move. ill download the manual i have to work on it outside cause im restoring my 87 trans am at the moment

#6 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:14 PM

ill have to take some better pics with my camera not my phone tomorrow but i have one pic of it as my avatar

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:20 PM

You might just find something simple if you remove the 3 screws from the shifter cap. might just be the shifter broke off. Good luck.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Make sure you don't have a sheared key or sheared splines on one of your axles. If one of them shears, then it'll see as though you can't find a gear, when in fact you are, but the spiders in the diff are just spinning the stripped axle. I'm not familiar with your tractor, so this is just something to check.

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I agree with olcowhand especially if you were doing some heavy pushing. Real easy to check by just looking at the axle shafts while the tractor is running and in gear.

#10 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 09:11 AM

My guess would be check the pulley that connects to the motor drive belt. The key in that could of sheered and the pulley could be just spinning on the shaft and not turing the trans. Or with all of the torque against the shift fork, you could of broke the bottom part of the shift lever off.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Good luck getting it sorted out. It looks like you are getting lots of help here. The manual will be a big help in finding out what's up. I hope it's something simple because it's still a bit cold to be working outside- at least here it is.