Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Has Everyone Got To Their Gardens Earlier This Year ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I was thinking on planting some potatoes that where left over from last year and are now sprouting big time , they wouldn't be good for eating anyway .

Al there will be some who advise against using last years potatoes for seed. But we used to grow enough potatoes average a yield of 3000 lbs and after sharing and eating all we wanted would have left over in the spring. I always added them into the planting the following spring.
Never had any regrets.
  • Alc said thank you

#17 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Al there will be some who advise against using last years potatoes for seed. But we used to grow enough potatoes average a yield of 3000 lbs and after sharing and eating all we wanted would have left over in the spring. I always added them into the planting the following spring.
Never had any regrets.

That is all we ever planted. Planted enough for the winter and for the next years planting. How are you ever going to get the plants perfectly adapted to you soil and climate if you don't save and plant it?
  • Alc said thank you

#18 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Im not even close to spring plowing, garden still has snow in it.

Jesse you can still plow your garden! Just use a snow blade :bigrofl:
  • trowel said thank you

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 04:35 AM

Nothing up here yet,it's still too cold .

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 05:58 AM

On potatoes that have long 12+ of sprouts , do you trim them off or do you have to keep them all in tact when planting ? Al

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Cut those potatoes up in aprox 2"-3" cubes/chunks, make sure you have a couple good eyes in each chunk. Traditionally we do this a day or two before we plant to let the cuts heal.
Now my dad say's his mother never let them heal just planted them.
Grandma would just take deeper cuts around the eyes when peeling for the table and plant the peelings.

I don't think this is absolute science, it's the experimentation that makes gardening so interesting.
It's fun to get Crazy Ideas(Boy do I have a lot of those!) and see if they pan out.

LovinTractor's I agree. The so called experts say it's not worth the risk. But I've always done it with out having a problem.

And I have a confession to make, I tied two cement blocks on my 5' spike Harrow and ran it over the garden last night.
May not have got all the weeds sprouting but I worried the heck out of them. Also learned I need to get chains on the 22 hp Murray, I had more wheel spin than I would like when turning.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 16, 2012 - 08:11 AM.

• chris m said thank you

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 07:16 AM

I had a little time yesterday and tilled a small row next to the strawberry row . I used the Jim Dandy 1612 to do it .The garden has a winter rye as a cover crop but where I tilled there was some bare patches from where the leaves that never made it for covering the strawberries this year . I used Red Norland I believe which had the longest sprouts . Not sure what the sprouts are for in the potatoes but it looked like leaves where forming at the ends so I kind of buried with the sprout sticking up and part way out of the ground . I had so many I planted them whole,about 35' row .

Attached Thumbnails

• P3160460.JPG
  • P3160459.JPG

#23 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 07:21 AM

The warnings against planting last year's potatoes is because of blight...you don't want to spread it. Remember the Irish Potato Famine?

Don't worry though, if you don't have black, rotting spots on the taters, then you don't have blight. Besides, all the seed potatoes in North America have been certified blight free for as long as I can remember, and I'm getting pretty old, so where would blight come from?
  • Alc and Lovintractorin have said thanks

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 10:22 AM

looks like your well on your way to having taters! I'm a little jealous of your Jim Dandy. I think I should have one, not just because I need one on the Acreage. But because back when I was into Cb's back in the 70's, m Handle Was Jim Dandy.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Just as soon as I return home from this KC dairy meeting, AND when the ground is dry, I'll till part of my garden, then plant onion sets, broccoli, and maybe some cauliflower. Looking forward to seeing my garden grow.

#26 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 03:20 PM

I know this isn't a garden tractor but it is now ready to be tilled with the CC129. Took the Dexta to the garden this morning with the 8' digger and now it is ready for rain. I had packed it last fall to extend the runway. I am really getting the itch to start the garden.

#27 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 08:36 AM

This March is crazy , had to WATER the garden , weed , and while weeding the aspargus I saw one small sprouting up !!! This might be a good year to try those " low hoops" I made for the lettuce over the winter and try a few broccoli transplants under it .