5 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:37 PM

The roto tiller has been sitting for years. I added gas it fired up 3rd pull. This was bought back in 85 or 86 and as far as i know has never had anything done to it. Original belts carb etc. It would only run with the choke set 1/4 of the way open. I was using it it blew oil over the side out the crank breather i would assume now it wont start. I cant seem to fine much info on the engine and would like to have a starting point to figure out whats wrong with it. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-03-14_17-24-48_337.jpg
  • 2012-03-14_17-24-54_917.jpg
  • 2012-03-14_17-25-05_895.jpg

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Is the oil, that blew out, on the thin side? Did you start getting smoke out the exhaust before it started blowing oil? If so, it sounds like you're getting too much gas, even though you have to run it at 1/4 choke, and it's mixing with the oil. I'd drain the oil out, rebuild the carb, put in fresh oil, and try it again.

Good Luck!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Usually, that oil is a sign of a couple of things. Either you're getting a lot of blow by (try doing a compression test), or the drain hole for the valve area is plugged ( remove cover and visible inspection / put something down thru the hole).

Do you have a model number?

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:05 PM

I would check the oil and make sure there is not too much in there, no water has gotten in, better to just change and set it at the right level.
Next do what you can to clean out the carb and make sure you got good fresh gas, no water in it.
If you get it running better and it still has oil blowing out the breather there's probably too much blow by, cylinder rusted up a bit from sitting so long. It might clear up as it runs longer but???

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 09:17 AM

I would pull that carb and clean it up, check all the settings, if the engine uses a paper air filter change it, then do a compression test or better yet do a cylinder bleed down test.

If all that checks out then change the oil and us a good detergent oil run it for a while then change the oil again. On the initial start I think I would leave the air filter off and let it run a bit before installing the air filter just in case it does spit some oil through the breather tube that way you don't screw up a new filter. Let us know what you find.

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 01:05 PM

The breather tube exits the engine but doesnt go into the air filter. I guess ill add it to the list of crap I have around here that needs worked on. btw now water this is barn kept. Never seen rain.