• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• Member No: 8021
  • 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:35 PM

I am new to GT's and recently purchased a Bolens 1050. It seems exceptionally loud to me. Would just replacing the little $6 muffler help, or should I proceed to fabricate something more effective? If replacing the stock one isn't going to make much of a difference, does anyone have any ideas on fabricating something more effective? I know a bit about engines and wouldn't want to create too much back pressure on the engine. Ideas?

#2 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:26 PM

{ does anyone have any ideas on fabricating something more effective? I know a bit about engines and wouldn't want to create too much back pressure on the engine. Ideas? } I have used stainless steel scourering pads from the dollar store to pack the inside of 2.5 inch auto ex pipe. u can pack it till it is quiet enough to suit your taste and its dollar store cheap.

#3 Bolens iseki OFFLINE  

Bolens iseki

• Member No: 4828
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 10:51 PM

the 6 $ one will most likley work the one i use if made out of water pipe a little pice coming out of the engine block with a 45 degree then another peace to clear the hood then a muffler

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 12:53 AM

you should have some 'baffle' in there somewhere, if you are after quiet, you're gonna need 1 and most probably 2 stainless baffles with the SS scouring pads packed between em...remember, how much air is processed in the combustion chamber = power...don't restrict it to much...

#5 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 02:16 AM

you should have some 'baffle' in there somewhere, if you are after quiet, you're gonna need 1 and most probably 2 stainless baffles with the SS scouring pads packed between em...remember, how much air is processed in the combustion chamber = power...don't restrict it to much...

I welded a small ridgeline 1.5 inches inside the pipe and cut some stainless screen i had about 1/4 inch wider than the pipe , did the same for both ends then just pressed the screens in over the SS packing till they bow in enough to pop inside up over the ridge . had about 4 inches between the screens . Was only half the noise that came off the stock 14 hp pancake muffler that was on it and seems to run as well as before. The ss scouring pads are the baffle and the screens on each end are caps/retainers.In the seventies we filled steel pop cans punched with nail holes and filled with steel wool on the pipe of a slant six dodge, Got us past the cops till payday .

Edited by rexknightly, March 15, 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#6 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 04:03 PM

if u do end up packing ur own baffle make sure u dont pack it to tight or it will not absob the sound

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 04:17 PM

{ does anyone have any ideas on fabricating something more effective? I know a bit about engines and wouldn't want to create too much back pressure on the engine. Ideas? } I have used stainless steel scourering pads from the dollar store to pack the inside of 2.5 inch auto ex pipe. u can pack it till it is quiet enough to suit your taste and its dollar store cheap.

Been there and done that. 1966 my brother left me his 55 Mercury with the 312 , duals and hollywood mufflers when he went away to the Navy. It was too loud to take my driving test in, so I stuffed steel wool in the tail pipes took the test and it burnt out in about a week.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 15, 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#8 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 07:15 PM

i have a 1977 puch pinto moped. it has an aftermarket pipe on it and boy it is loud and fast.