23 replies to this topic

#16 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:44 PM

thanks to everyone for the great comments and help, its really appreciated.

here are some pics of what i got. type: T0585 serial:049498M
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Trav1s, I like the v twin idea. haha i was on small engine warhouse and saw i could put one of those in. the $1400 seems a bit out of my price range. im only 17 and im strating my first job on thursday but i still like the idea maybe a used one would be cheaper.

madhorse, your 140 looks really nice. i hope i will get mine to look like that soon. Is that all origanal? thanks

thanks to everyone else for the comments i hope you like the pics. i would love to hear more comments and info thanks, Darren

Edited by Stoneman, March 17, 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#17 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Stoneman,

Your tractor looks very straight, especially the fender pan. If you are looking for rear light replacements check out my 120 thread that I updated today. The LED tails I picked up from Napa look pretty good and were about the same price as the Deere pieces.
  • Stoneman said thank you

#18 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 09:44 AM

ok i developed a couple questions tinkering with. First, how good are the hydros in these? do they break often or last forever? How well do they work?

second i tried looking for a picture of a 140 with 3 point and i couldnt find much. how hard is it to find a 3 point for a 140? is there anything new that would work?

thanks again

#19 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 09:57 AM

The hydro trannies are well built, and do good. You have the later transmission, which in my opinion, is much better than the earlier Sunstrand tranny. It you keep up with servicing them on a scheduled basis, and don't abuse them, it will last for years.

3pt. Hitches are still able to be found. I've seen them listed on ebay and craigslist, but they are expensive. The usually adverage between $250 - $450.00, depending if they are complete with top link. I could be wrong, but I don't think a 3pt. can be used on an H1 140. If I am wrong, and you can use it, you'll have to cut the notch for the top link, in your fender pan, and you'll have to add the rear hydraulic lines and ports. I am almost 100% positive though, that you can only use the 3pt. hitch on H3 models.

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I know you can use a 3pt on a 314 but it does have the notch in the back centre of the fender deck. I have seen 140's with the rear fender deck cutout by hand to allow the use of the 3pt so it may be possible as a modification rather than an option. How much you want to cut up the tractor to get a 3pt is a question only you can answer. Perhaps a sleeve(integral) hitch is something you could also consider.

#21 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 12:25 PM

I would suggest finding a good notched fender pan if you are thinking of going three-point. Good, straight pans like yours are hard to find. I would rather replace than repair on my 120 but that will likely not happen.

#22 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks a lot for the info guys. i was only thinking of trying to out a 3 point on if it is cheap and easy to do. obviously i'll hold off on that idea haha. thanks again for the help.

#23 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 03:47 AM

StoneMan,

My 140 is all orignal and have had no trouble with hydro. I also wanted to give you my two cents although you have already recieved great advice. I would focus on getting a complete running tractor, when it comes time to tow a trailer or rake behind her let me know, I have plans for both sleeve and three point hitch. I would put three point out of your head however, it would take some upgrades to get it to work andI am not sure but it sounds like you want to stay orignal.

#24 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 02:30 PM

I have a 1969 140 with single hydrolics and I love it .I have bought some attachments for it over the years as well.A 54 inch snow blade,a 48 inch model 49 snow blower with the brass tag,a model33 tiller with one extension,a sleeve hitch with all the brinley attachments which my dad and I share,and a power flow grass hopper unit off of a twin cylinder 316 which does a great job cleaning up leaves,,you just got to remember not to turn to sharp when close to objects because the hopper will swing wide.It bolts solid to the tractor and has what I call crazy wheels on it.