23 replies to this topic

#1 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 05:50 PM

picked up a tractor for the first time in queit a while. i always wanted a john deere for some reason, and the 140 always interested me so a week ago i saw this and the guy who had it wasnt sure what to do with it and was thinking of scraping it out. i talked myself out of trying to bring it home but thought if it was still there next time i saw him i would ask and yesterday i went back and it was still there and the guy was just getting ready to stip it down...... i couldnt let that happen lol. so i brought it home for $50

Its in really good shape but missing the hood grill and an engine and has no attatchments. i think it has good potental though and with an engine it wont take much to get it going and looking good. I found out it is a 1973 with single hydralics.

i've never used or really paid attention to any john deeres until now and im impressed at how well the 140 is made and how simple it seems to be put together.

I think i have found out mosly everything i want to know myself but i just would like to ask if there is really anything i should look for on this?

sorry for the lack of pics i should have some up by next week.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated,
thanks, Darren

Edited by Stoneman, March 14, 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Are you looking to restore it to original or modify/update it? I'm more a tractor user than a collector...I must play in the dirt...but I always find other's projects very interesting.

#3 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:44 PM

basically just get it able to be used. i would like to get an engine for it as close to the original as possible. 12-16 hp kohler k-series would be great. im kinda a tractor user myself lol. but i would love to be able to restore it down the road some day.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Congrats on the 140. The next generation of JD's in the 300 series were pretty much identical to the 140 under the tin. They are a pretty heavy tractor and a good worker if well maintained. I have some basic service info for it. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you a copy.
  • Stoneman said thank you

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:28 PM

A 1973 140 should have a 14hp Kohler, if you're looking to keep it original. A hood and grille can be easily bought off ebay. Actually, any hood off of a flat fendered 110 or 112 will work too. The correct grille for your year, will be the thinner type, that snaps in between the hood uprights. I'm assuming you're missing the headlight panel also, since you're missing the hood and grille. The headlight panels can be pretty expensive. Not sure if you can still get them through Deere or not, but even buying a used one off of ebay, will cost you a good bit of change.

Congrats on the tractor, and if you need any help, ask away. We're here to help anyway we can!

#6 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:09 PM

A 1973 140 should have a 14hp Kohler, if you're looking to keep it original. A hood and grille can be easily bought off ebay. Actually, any hood off of a flat fendered 110 or 112 will work too. The correct grille for your year, will be the thinner type, that snaps in between the hood uprights. I'm assuming you're missing the headlight panel also, since you're missing the hood and grille. The headlight panels can be pretty expensive. Not sure if you can still get them through Deere or not, but even buying a used one off of ebay, will cost you a good bit of change.

Congrats on the tractor, and if you need any help, ask away. We're here to help anyway we can!

thanks i was going to ask about the hood thing but u answered it already! haha im not to worry about a hood or a grill right now. my main goal is to get an engine first.

thanks again for the help im sure i will be back for more questions and hopefully ill get some pics sunday.
Darren
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#7 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 12:28 AM

Congratulations on your find. I agree that the 140 is a classic John Deere tractor!

- Mark

#8 robby1276 OFFLINE  

robby1276

• Member No: 8072
  • 10 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 02:42 AM

I have a 140 as well my hood is messed up a little and the headlight panel is bad too seems to be a common thing with deeres hoods and headlight panels

K321 14 hp is what came on mine. So far the worst I've encountered with mine was changing the tranny fluid kohler parts are easy to get once you get a engine I've had some good luck finding most parts for mine as well Mine a worker too but I'm going to restore it next fall but still use it for working though

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331797273.596808.jpg

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 04:41 AM

Hey,congratulations on the 140,will be waiting to see the photos.

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 04:54 PM

Welcome!

Fellow 120 owner here. Great tractors that were built to last. I hope to do a repower some day with a V-twin that hangs out past the hood supports and the hood. :smilewink:

Posted Image

Edited by Trav1s, March 15, 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Congratulations on your find. I agree that the 140 is a classic John Deere tractor!

- Mark

I agree Mark. I wanted one bad but they are not to be had up here. I settled for a 314 which underneath the tin is very similar to an H1 140.
  • Stoneman and markdombroski have said thanks

#12 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Congratulations on the 140. I had an H1 for over 20 years and loved it.

Do you have the serial number? Mine was Type T0585, serial number 055311M.

I have several manuals for it that I kept when I sold the tractor. I've scanned in the Operator's Manual and can send it to you if you want it and you Private Message me with your E-mail address.

I also have the Service Manual and the Parts Catalog, both for Serial numbers 30,001 and up, but they are pretty big and I haven't scanned them in yet.

Have fun with it, I certainly had fun with mine.

#13 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:32 AM

IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0856.JPG

I have a 140 H3 So for it is a dependable strong machine and am very impressed with its abilities. The help I get here has been priceless If you have some trouble ask away.

#14 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:22 PM

Save this for your records!

140_SN_30_001_Wirediagram.jpg

#15 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:23 PM

I agree Mark. I wanted one bad but they are not to be had up here. I settled for a 314 which underneath the tin is very similar to an H1 140.

I was watching for a 314 or a 140 and ended up with a lowly 120 :smilewink: :smilewink: :smilewink: