10 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 03:00 AM

I decided i would get a cub. Ended up with a few. the guy drove it on the trailer my brother drove it off. I have yet to drive it. I bet it would be a nice tractor to do yard chores. its a 71 and as far as i can tell the motor is the original 7hp. I think the motor is just tired. Its leaking oil from the head and smokes like no other.

I went to see if i could get it running. decent spark after some more trouble shooting i found the plug was dead. pulled one from the wheel horse and got it to run at 1/2 throttle. ran it there for a few minutes revved it up and it died. hasnt started back. :wallbanging:

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 03:57 AM

Sounds like a head gasket is needed. That will help compression and make it run better. Could possibly need rings.

#3 spinella OFFLINE  

spinella
  • Member No: 8639
  • 6 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:31 AM

where you located? if you hate your cub i'm sure someone here will do you the favor and pick it up from you for free.... :thumbs:

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:57 AM

I need to pull the head and see. Just something else for the list. I would still like to at least drive a cub. If oil was getting into the cylinder would that fowl spark plugs quick?

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:17 AM

Yes

#6 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:45 AM

I would also check the points. If they are out of adjustment or pitted it will cause all kinds of trouble. The points screw has been known to come loose. I hope that helps.

Geno

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Don't hate on your cub for a tired engine. Personally I HATE working on those little K161's! I would rather work on a K241 or larger anyday. They're good little engines but I find them to be more cantankerous then the bigger ones.

The oil leaking from around the head puzzles me a little bit. Only way there should be oil coming from the head is if it has bad valve guides or rings and is pushing oil up into the combustion chamber and then it would have to have a blown head gasket to push it out the side. Does it smoke bad?

And yes they are a handy tracor to have around. Basically the same as my 73 and that is a nice little tractor. The tractor I like the most though is my 100. Same basic lightweight frame style as a 70,71,72,73 but with a 10hp engine. It just feels nimble and quick on its feet compared to something like my 106.

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:18 PM

The carb is new(or rebuilt) the points are new the voltage regulator are new so someone wanted to get it running correct. Yes it smokes like crazy the couple times ive had it running. I guess ill be pulling the motor in the near future to take a look and see what i see. I suspect a ring job and head gasket to say the least need to be done.

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yep, sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

#10 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Soooooooooo I had a cub guy over who bought the 100 I had. I ask him about this one. He told me to check the head bolts. Sure enough they were loose. Got it fired up. It still smokes a little but isnt horrible. The cylinder walls are grooved some kind of bad. Its a good driving tractor but the original tires suck. I threw a set of ags on it and put it to work. After all no tractor is kept that isnt used. I need a little more horse power but used it to level my first 2 gardens.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_6106.JPG
  • 100_6107.JPG
  • 100_6108.JPG

#11 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 05:13 PM

The button for the deck lift quit working. Its free but seems like the spring inside the handle is broken. How do I fix it?