5 replies to this topic

#1 brahlf OFFLINE  

brahlf
  • Member No: 9019
  • 11 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hi,

I am new here and hope someone can help. I have Kohler K341 in a old Ford LGT165 that has been blowing smoke and using oil a lot. I tore the engine down and miked the bore. I have 3.830 bore dia. Does anyone know of anyone that can sleeve this and bring back to standard in the Milwaukee area? Or do I have to ship it out somewhere? Does anyone make a custom 60 over piston? The crank also shows signs of wear and appears to be egged shaped.

Thanks for any help.

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 11:34 PM

First of all :welcometogttalk:
Look for a machine shops that repair small engines. A lot of the automotive machine shops work on small engines in this area. I'm not familiar with what can an can't be done to the Kohler engines but your small engine parts suppliers should be able to give advice.

#3 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 05:37 AM

Welcome to the forum. There will be better engine guys than I along here, but I THINK that the bore will have to be machined, and I'm sure replacement cranks are available.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Welcome to GTT. :welcometogttalk:

Sorry, but I can't answer your ??s either, but here is a link that's worth looking
at. Lots of good Kohler info in there.
http://gardentractor...s.com/index.htm

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:26 AM

My father could and did, then bored to standard size but he is retired and the machine shop closed.
A k-341 piston was replaced with a chevy 305 cu. inch piston at a diameter of 3.736. A Chevy 350 cu. inch comes in at 4, which would bore all the way out to the cooling fins. The K341 had a bore of 3.730, you had to use the standard Chevy piston and the wrist pins are pressed on.
Yours is way passed that point so in my opinion it would be better and cheaper to sleeve it and bore to size then to mess with a Chevy piston.
We have a Member who builds and works pulling tractors, he would know more and what to do.

Edited by trowel, March 14, 2012 - 07:27 AM.

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:29 AM

Oh, and i see you are new, Welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined, hang around, help should be coming.