• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• Member No: 8484
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have a 1050 and the shaft has about 3/4 inch "free play" in it. I also have a 1256 and that one doesn't. The exposed ends of the shaft on both are the same. I've taken it out and I can't find anything wrong. Snap rings seem ok.. the oil seal doesn't seem to have a groove to hold it in place and slides on the shaft. Are the belts supposed to keep it where it belongs? Want to make sure everything is ok before I put the belts on and hook up my tiller. Just bought these as a package deal and very new and green to these little tractors. The 1050 was in working condition and the 1256 a restoration project. Oh, and they had wire wrapped around the shaft to take care of the free play I'm guessing. That's why I took it apart.
  • goodnews said thank you

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 02:54 PM

That does seem like an excessive amount of "free play". It shouldn't be like that. And yes,the belts will tend to keep it where it belongs to a certain extent,but that's not right.

Edited by mjodrey, March 13, 2012 - 03:34 PM.

• goodnews said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 06:54 PM

That does seem like an excessive amount of "free play". It shouldn't be like that. And yes,the belts will tend to keep it where it belongs to a certain extent,but that's not right.

:ditto:
There is usually a bit of play , but there should not be as much as you described.
I'll attach a picture in case you didnt see an exploded view of the PTO yet so you can see if your possibly missing anything:

Attached Thumbnails

• PTO.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you