Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mower Deck Bearings And Lubrication (Jacobsen 1250)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Need some advice on lubricating the mower deck bearing housings. I'm going to install new bearings (NTN 6205 LU) which are sealed on one side. What is the correct way to pack a bearing that is sealed on one side?

Also, the owners manual says to pump two or three "shots" of grease into the housing once a year or every 100 hours for heavy duty use. But how much grease, if any, should be packed into the housing when assembling it? It specifically states not to pack the housings full.

Thanks, in advance BILL

#2 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Pack the bearings full, assemble the lower bearing and shaft into the housing and loosely pump in grease around the shaft. Finish the assembly by pressing in top bearing . Then grease ad the manual says. If you pack it you will blow out the seals . Good luck
  • Bill56 said thank you

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thank you for the information, Keith. The manual says to use a lithium based grease ( #2 wheel bearing grease. ) Would this be the best to use, or is there a more current recommendation for these bearings? Also do you know of a source for the bearings? I can get them locally, but they want $18.00 each. I haven't purchased any bearings for quite some time, so maybe that's the going price??

By the way... That's a nice looking Ford you have!

Thanks again, Bill