• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PennsylvaniaNewt OFFLINE  

PennsylvaniaNewt

• Member No: 5693
  • 49 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Yesterday, I decided to take the snow plow off of the 1250 as I think snow season is over. I decided to put the tiller on since I never saw it on before. Everything mounted up nice and there do not appear to ba any issues with it. I think my neighbor has some tilling he needs done (at least I hope so) so I can try it out!

Quick question.....should I take the tire chains off for tilling or leave them on?

If anyone wants I will try and post some pictures of it installed.

If I till my neighbors garden I will also try and get video of it doing its thing :bounce:

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:36 PM

I would take the tire chains off as there's really no need to have them on when you have the tiller to help you out.
I am not sure on how close the clearance is between the tire and tine on a largeframe but I know on a tubeframe it is so close that you can catch the chain on the tine if your chains are not tight.

#3 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• Member No: 8021
  • 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'd love to see pics and/or video. The rear tiller attachment is like my Holy Grail as there are even fewer attachments than there are Bolens tractors in my neck of the woods.

#4 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:00 PM

I ran turf tires plain with the tiller on my H14. It did just fine.

#5 PennsylvaniaNewt OFFLINE  

PennsylvaniaNewt

• Member No: 5693
  • 49 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:14 PM

There is plenty of clearance on the large frame between the tines and chains.

So you think the turf tires would be plenty enough? I have the tires loaded and wheel weights on it.

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:24 PM

when I was pulling a plow thru my garden, ag tires is what I had on and did not use any weight with them. I also had the differential locked on. (big nut screwed in on the back left axle) When I set the plow too deep those ags dug right in without slipping. I tilled with the ags too and did ok. When I sold the H14 I sold it with the tiller and turf tires. I took it out in the garden to show the buyer how it worked when tilling and it handled the job fine. Those tires were loaded tho, that probable helped some, but again I never did spin a tire with turf tires pulling the tiller. I think Bolens 1000 is right, the tiller will push you out of any trouble.

Edited by JBBR, March 12, 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Brian was right on the money about clearance on the tube frames. I posted pics of one of my tube frames tilling with chains and caught some negative comments.Turns out they were correct. With little clearance between the tiller and the tires, you don't need a chain link breaking or being too loose and catching a tine on the tiller.My first experience with a tiller was an eye opener. Just like Brian said, the tiller will actually help your forward progress. Even with the extra clearance on the 1250, try it without the chains. If you set the tiller at the proper depth you should have no problems.
I'm looking forward to the pics and hopefully some video of the tilling.Good luck.