• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 06:52 PM

I found a picture in a Sears catalog from 1965 with a picture of a 3 point, 8" plow for the 725 (and similar) riders. The model number in the catalog isn't a STD sears number. I've done a lot of online looking for the number and have come up snake-eyes on this. Anyone have any ideas?

plow 8.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Actually, I think I just figured it out. Sometimes just typing things into a search engine in a different order gives different results.

i think it's a
"917.60652 - 8 inch plow made for the Suburbans and Customs"

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 01:17 AM

yes that would be the number for the plow from 59 to 65 in 8". for the later tractors its 917.253020. Im sure it changed again for the newer Roper line but i dont know there number system.

You might want to rethink pulling an 8" with an older custom as they only have 6hp, the newer one had a lot more under the hood. I pull an 8" with my 62, "600" but only in the lite or sandy ground. Mostly i'll use my 6".
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 04:35 AM

Sorry Alan,I can't help you.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 07:26 AM

yes that would be the number for the plow from 59 to 65 in 8". for the later tractors its 917.253020. Im sure it changed again for the newer Roper line but i dont know there number system.

You might want to rethink pulling an 8" with an older custom as they only have 6hp, the newer one had a lot more under the hood. I pull an 8" with my 62, "600" but only in the lite or sandy ground. Mostly i'll use my 6".

Thanks for the info, nice to have confirmation.

I'm trying to figure out if the 725 I just picked up will pull it, once it's running.

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Im here :thumbs: ....Late as usual but im here :smilewink:
Looks like your good to go now, love thoses old brochures.
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 12:36 PM

After looking again at the picture i should have mentioned that the "32" in the catalog number means that it is a garden item. Dept 32 was the area of the DB factory that was in charge of gardening type things for Sears. It comes up on memos and other things like manuals. At one time we had a guy those was reseaching the catalog numbers and how to break one down it what item it went to. I think he lost interest in the DB collecting , we havent heard from his for several yrs and he never came forward with the end results of the research. Sears used at least 3 differnt sets of numbers to id an item though the plant and store. One was a model number, printed on the tag, so you could order parts, one was an in house bundle number, used by DB at the factory, and was stenciled on the part(s), and the last was the catalog number used by the store. Seems like a confusing system, but it must have made sence to them as they still seem to use it.