10 replies to this topic

#1 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • Member No: 8924
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hello GTT,
Thanks for your replies concerning what to do with my 900. I definately won't put the time into restoring it.
In my last post I mentioned I bought a tiller. It's froze up pretty good. One side turns 1/8" or so and the other side won't budge. One of the u-joints is froze on the pto shaft. I've never dealt with this situation before. What do you folks recommend to get this tiller in working order?
Also as you can see, there is a bar bolted to it with a ball on it. I would guess to pull a small trailer or something. It came with the cover (the hinges are also froze up) and I intend to reattach that. I don't want rocks kicking up and hitting me in the back of my head!
When I was buying the tiller, I noticed he had some Bolens wheel weights. He threw them in with the tiller for an extra $50. I was pretty happy about that. Thanks for reading.
Bill
IMG_3444.JPG
IMG_3445.JPG
IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 04:41 PM

You got a pretty good deal with those weights included!

From the looks of that custom Trailer hitch bolted onto the tiller, my guess is the tiller and tractor was abused quite a bit.
I would pull off the gear case cover and see what the gears look like inside. I would not be surprised if the case was empty and the gears are rusted in place. As for the drive shaft I would let that end soak in some penetrating oil for a while.
  • bill1261 said thank you

#3 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Dr. Bolens,
I pulled the plate off and took some pics. It was dry as you suspected. Is there hope?

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3457.JPG

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Most likely all the seals and bearings are toast as well, It would be possible to rebuild and clean it up but you probably will be better off picking up another round top tiller and using this one for parts

#5 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 06:26 PM

I have a tiller like yours but I did not have to open the gear box because everything turned as it should :bounce: . I would question the gear teeth being cupped down in the middle? Brian most likely will be able to verify if this is what they should look like but my opinion is they are wore off. There should be a bracket that holds the cover over the tines. It mounted on top of where the hitch bar is. 2 bolts. I have to wonder what the guy pulled behind the tiller as it was in operation? :confuse: maybe a wagon to through rocks in? Brian i notice some white paint on the tines. could this be a early model tiller like mine? I had a photo of the bracket. and mine after it was painted.

Attached Thumbnails

• 016 (2).JPG
  • tiller 006.JPG

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 06:32 PM

The brass gear is supposed to be cupped in the middle

Good eye!
It appears that the tiller is another early model with the white tines.

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I see Dr Bolens has already diagnosed some of your problems. Brian is usually very good at these things. The hinged cover should free up with PBblaster or however it's spelled. One of the tillers I got with a tractor had the same problem. Just spray it on several times over several days and be patient. You did make a good buy on the wheel weights.

#8 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 03:48 PM

GTT,
I had to eat and get to bed last night. Thank you for your replies! I had mentioned in my very first GTT post that I had purchased a round-cover tiller with my first 1050. I loved how the the tiller operated but wasn't happy that it would leave a tire track on the left side because the tiller wasn't wide enough. After some research, I found that they made a tine extension kit for my tiller. After weeks of searching ( I did find a few square-cover extension kits...but I knew they were not compatable with mine) I found this tiller, knowing that it had a round-cover, should be compatible with mine.
Now I'm wondering if I can take the tines and extension cover off the new tiller and put it on my old one. The new tiller definately has white tines, whereas my old tiller has red ones(see photo). Does this mean that it is a different model than the first tiller I bought? Redcarkids posted a photo of his tiller. (Beautiful work on restoring that tiller!) His looks different because his cover has 2 cutouts on the top where as mine only has one. Also he has double tines (right bend and left bend) on the outside extension hubs. (I also included a photo showing the bracket on the cover)
When Dr. Bolens said it would be a hassle to rebuild it, did he mean that finding the right seals and bearings would be difficult? Or is it just plain shot because it is rusted and has no fluid in it? Can I pour some type of penetrating oil or lube in the gearbox and let it soak in?
Thank you for reading. Please bear with my inexperience,
Bill
photos show my old tiller and new cover

IMG_3458.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3463.JPG

Edited by bill1261, March 13, 2012 - 03:49 PM.

• redcarkids said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 07:38 PM

The extension kits will make your tiller 33'' and cover up the tracks.
What I meant on finding another tiller, is I wasn't sure if you wanted to go through the hassle of disassembling the tiller gear box and replacing the bearings and seals. You will probably have around $50+/- to rebuild the one that is rusted up.

All the round back tillers were basically the same, its just the early models had the white painted tines.

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. Even if the tiller isn't usable, you got a great deal on the weights!!

#11 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:20 PM

GTT,
Thanks to Dr. Bolens for setting me straight on rebuilding the tiller. I am grateful for this forum. I'm sure I'll bother you with more questions in the future.

Bill