#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Well, started as just a 3pt, but got more anyway! Here's some pix. Kinda dark, was gettin' home about sundown, took quick shots. It's a 1655 with broken Onan engine laying in it. Has front pto, which also must have run the deck with shaft, instead of belts out the back. Wondering if that might go on my 1650 if I didn't use the deck? Front axle is heavier also and has bolt on wheels. Will that switch over easy? Tires are wider then, about same OD. No rear pto, it stayed with PO for his. The tin on this one is prettier, and the plastics, so maybe putting those over to mine. They are just covered with dirt, from sitting in shed. Gonna let the rain wash it off first for couple days. Might be having some Onan parts for sale. Engine is half disassembled, not sure yet it's problems. Carb is half there,one head off, tin all pulled off. 3pt was better than one I bought earlier so might be using that on mine instead. Check it out!

Attached Thumbnails

• New MF 1655 001.JPG
  • New MF 1655 002.JPG
  • New MF 1655 004.JPG

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Nice score! Looks like some good parts! Congrats!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Nice looking Massey. Are you going to look at the engine to see what's up or is this just for parts?

#4 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 01:31 AM

If I got a deal like that, I'd be looking for an Onan.............HARD!! It makes a great FEL platform!!

The 1650 has a shorter engine bay. The hood won't fit and you wouldn't be able to use the front PTO for a mower.

Now the other end is a little better. I'm not sure, but I think some of the early 1650's had Sundstrand hydros like the 1655, and I'm fairly sure that the guts of the rear ends are the same even if the 1650 has an Eaton. The rear axles and axle trumpets should be a direct swap. If the 1650 has an Eaton and you're parting out the 1655, swap the hydro and rear end into the 1650. You have an option for the rear axles, but the rims are specific to the axles, 6 bolt on the 1655 and 5 bolt on the 1650.

The hydraulic components are always nice to have around. You have some nice options there, as well.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 04:48 AM

Could look a lot worse.I'm glad to see you got it home.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Tudor: I would like to use this axle and the front PtO on mine. Know if any will just bolt-up? And then steering hook-up? I realize the pto won't work for my deck, yet deck may not be going back on for sure. If I use the axle, w/out drive, will my orig pin hold it in? IF I found a shaft drive deck, would that work on my older rig? What is chance of my single Kohler being moved to this newer chassis, which is heavier all around? It had an Onan and I'm hearing the centers of engins are diff. A big engine mount frame came with it. Is there similar frame in mine that would transfer over to use the Kohler in this newer frame? I have the driveshaft from the Onan with coupler for flywheel, yet not sure if same bolt/size for the Kohler. Questions, Questions, Ideas, Ideas! Not sure what I am doing or wanna do.....

#7 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 03:54 AM

The front axle pivots are totally different. It would take a wholesale changeout of the front axle support cross members to put the 1655 front axle into the 1650. Even at that, with the shorter chassis, a mower drive shaft would have to be shortened and would be at extreme angles for the u-joints. I don't believe there is a shaft driven 48" mower and I don't think the 54" for the 1655 will fit between the axles on the 1650 with the big tires from the 1655.

That's why I suggested finding an engine for the 1655. There is an Onan for sale in KY on the other forum. He wants $450 and there is no flywheel. I believe that it's a P220. I'd either try fitting the Kohler in there or do a complete refurb on it while looking for an Onan. Fitting the Kohler will take measuring, measuring, measuring, and then measure it again. Plus making a new drive shaft for the lower crank. If I recall correctly, Olcowhand and others have mentioned that the drive shaft in the 1650 should have universals. Alignment could be tricky without them in the 1655. The engine cradle in the 1655 may need an adapter plate to accommodate the Kohler base bolts, or the engine cradle from the 1650 may drop right in, if there is one. For sure throttle and choke cables will have to be rerouted and a bit of wireing.

The flywheel stub shafts are different, but a new one can be easily made at a machine shop using 1" superior ground shafting and a new base plate. I did that with mine to cut down on operating expenses. I used to strip the splines out of one pulley every 6 months until I changed all my drives to the shafting. That made it easy for universals and industrial cast iron pulleys, but you still need a splined coupler for the hydro.

My best advice is to be patient and think about what you want to do. There are many options and you really don't want to close any doors before you have explored them. Onans are in many tractors, from Sears Suburban to Case to John Deere. You may luck out on acquireing an engine from an otherwise derelict tractor or from someone who just wanted a new mower.

That 1655 is an awesome piece of machinery, once it's running. It took me 5 years to get mine from when I saw my first one on the showroom floor on 1977. I still have it, and my 8 month old grandson will inherit it when I'm gone.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:47 PM

OK, at this moment have decided to keep the 1655 as it was. Looked it over today, washed it some. Working on rear tires now to hold air to push around. Engine didn't have the pan on it. Called PO and he is looking for that. Looks like someone has been into it, or tried anyway, the block bolts were loose at pto end of crank and the pan off. I'm finding pans on epay for diff models, does it really matter on that big part? Found one for an 1855 that looks right, but was for a B48 or similar it said. Mine is a BF-MS. I bought a manual off epay for my engine. Will be lots of questions on Onans in future, I"m sure. Yes, the hood is 6" longer, the axle, quite heavier than my 1650. Rear tires are Huge and 6-bolt. Will be keeping eye open for another engine in meat time. Shaft on this is 1-1/8" and 2-1/2" long.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Is this the manual you bought?

http://gardentractor...ce-w-opt-parts/

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 02:59 AM

Got on epay. Looks about right. Supposed to have parts and repairs both in it. No mention of later changes like this one you show. I didn't look on here to see what was available. There was several on epay, some were just copys. One I bought is supposed to be a genuine Onan dealer book. All were priced the same around $18, some with ship, some needed to pay ship.

#11 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 04:51 AM

The original 16 hp Onans in Suburbans were BF engines.

Edited by TUDOR, March 15, 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Well, got the 3pt and controls changed from 1655 to my 1650, and it Works! Cool! Now I can get a rear blade. Gonna powerwash the 50 now that it is some apart. Pretty greasy and leaks in a few spots. Gotta find out those issues, spots on floor. Might be the engine though, seems to be in front really.