#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thanks you for the comments, i figured it would bring back good memorys.
usally i go through and thank everyone but the thanks should be going to Daniel and my friends, not me, i no longer farm, im just a helper now.
These pictures are to show that the East coast still has some old time farmers that are still working.

Edited by trowel, March 11, 2012 - 09:29 PM.

• olcowhand and chris m have said thanks

#17 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Sure does bring back old days, and hav to love the smell of fresh hay.
  • trowel said thank you

#18 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Up until a few years ago we raised wheat and always baled the straw to take to auction. Sure does bring back some memories. Nothing to me like the sound of baler plunger pushing that bale together. Always liked hearing that sound especially if it hit a good slug and made the tractor governor open. Thanks for the pics.
  • trowel said thank you

#19 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Last summer I helped a some farming friends of mine down in Bernville PA. Good hard work and good memories.
  • trowel said thank you

#20 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Jesse, Thanks for the memories, I always worked the wagon, we stacked the wagons while being pulled behind the baler. It seems that no one does this anymore. We baled on some pretty good slopes, only lost one stack when we hit a ground hog hole with the rear wheel on the hay wagon.
  • trowel said thank you

#21 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 04:23 AM

Great photos,thanks for sharing them with us.
  • trowel said thank you

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks you for the comments, i figured it would bring back good memorys.
usally i go through and thank everyone but the thanks should be going to Daniel and my friends, not me, i no longer farm, im just a helper now.
These pictures are to show that the East coast still has some old time farmers that are still working.

Yes, the thanks definitely should go your way Trowel. If you help a farmer, then you are a farmer of sorts. You gotta realize how hard it is to find help putting up hay & the like. Not many are willing to do farm work for any amount of pay. Thanks for being a good neighbor!
  • trowel said thank you

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Up until a few years ago we raised wheat and always baled the straw to take to auction. Sure does bring back some memories. Nothing to me like the sound of baler plunger pushing that bale together. Always liked hearing that sound especially if it hit a good slug and made the tractor governor open. Thanks for the pics.

The JD 2640's governor is immediate when a heavy load is applied and the engine starts barking with authority, god i love those old diesels, the new one has the exhaust driven turbo wine, nothing like the old knockers.
You are most welcomed, im more then happy to post these pic's and there will be more coming if it don't rain all spring.
Daniel, i only buy local milk. Thank you.

Edited by trowel, March 12, 2012 - 11:40 AM.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#24 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Jesse, Thanks for the memories, I always worked the wagon, we stacked the wagons while being pulled behind the baler. It seems that no one does this anymore. We baled on some pretty good slopes, only lost one stack when we hit a ground hog hole with the rear wheel on the hay wagon.

That is the way I did it last summer. Didn't lose a bail even though at one point it was so steep we had to unhook the wagon because I don't think I could stand on it. I'm not sure if I would have driven the tractor on that slope and you sure got to watch carefully for those ground hog holes or you could roll over pretty easily.
  • trowel said thank you

#25 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:47 PM

The JD 2640's governor is immediate when a heavy load is applied and the engine starts barking with authority, god i love those old diesels, the new one has the exhaust driven turbo wine, nothing like the old knockers.
You are most welcomed, im more then happy to post these pic's and there will be more coming if it don't rain all spring.
Daniel, i only buy local milk. Thank you.

We had a 273 Hew Holland with a 56 thrower that we pulled behind our 766 Farmall. It's hard work for sure, but I always liked baling.
  • trowel said thank you

#26 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hard work ? :thumbs: Good for you, make you a man.
I run the trucks and wagon, can't sit and bale for no more the an hour before getting impatient and passing it to someone else, me and Pete are the only ones who knows how to run the modle B and 57 Chevy and keep them running, Pete or his brother-inlaw bales.
We keep up on them 3 times a year with oil changes, grease and prevention maintenance with my little brother helping, after each cutting. My little brother stacks and throws, he's a strong worker and ties in the bales tight 5 rows high when it's needed.
My favoret is pushing the wagons into the barn with the pusher (model B ) the barks echo throughout the barn and calms my nerves after chasing the baler for a few hours, i back out knowing it's in and dry with a feeling of relief.
I never really liked the kicker/thrower on the baler unless loading it all loose, kocked me off the wagon a few times when i was not paying attention, Allen does the best he can driving and controling the kicker, the Hesston is a high speed baler (forgot model no) and can be ran in 3 rd gear for 3 rd light cutting.
He has a MF round baler but never liked it, high maintenance and expensive to run compared to the Hesston.
766 Farmall is a good old work horse, never ran one but still see them working.

Edited by trowel, March 12, 2012 - 10:45 PM.