#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 12:49 PM

Fella called today offering a 3pt hitch from 1655. Had add for one for my 1650, which I bought and received. Now this one is close and much cheaper, sheesh! OR, can buy the whole tractor for $250! I don't really need more stuff, but think that is a buy and probly gonna get it. The engine is blown (Onan), and not sure that was in deal anyway. Has tires/wheels enough to roll he says. Just wondering if the rest of the unit has same parts as my 1650 enough to warrant buying it all. AND, also has the rear PTO in it. All that the same? My manual shows diagrams that appear to be for both models, so am thinking be good. Just the engine the diff part?

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 01:07 PM

I would pick it up for $250 in a heartbeat. Then keep my eyes open for a engine if the original cannot be rebuilt, The PTO doesnt interchange. The 1655 engine output shaft is higher then the kohler in the 1650. So one the 55 series the PTO runs off the engine shaft directly with the drive shaft being turned by pulleys off the Engine adapter. This is just the opposite of the 1650. The 55 uses a shaft drive deck without the mule drive. The Front wheels on the 55 use automotive taper bearings instead of the straight spindle on the 50. The rearends are the same except the 55 uses a 6 lug instead of 5 on the 50. The hydros should interchange. The 55 is 6 inches longer than the 50. Splined pulleys and coupler should interchange, Steering boxes are different. Again I would get it if it were near me.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 02:40 PM

I would buy it up in a heartbeat, Rebuild the engine or repower. You could sell it after, minus the 3pt and PTO.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 02:43 PM

Sounds like a great deal to me. I'd like to get a hold of one like that for an electric conversion. It's pretty much an ideal candidate with a blown engine.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 03:01 PM

Which manual covers the 1655? Is it the same as the 1855?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Which manual covers the 1655? Is it the same as the 1855?

Yep, just different engine.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:25 PM

OK, it's bought! Posted pix on here in MF forums. That front axle is heavier and has little wider wheels that bolt on. Then the front and mid pto goes thru pivot. Can I put that on my 1650? I see above the rear won't work, but that didn't come with deal, PO kept that for his. Engine is apart and shot looks like. Carb half there, probly stuff missing. Will find out later when have time. If I put that drive on mine, I realize my deck with belts won't work. Thinkin' I'm not gonna put the deck back on anyway. SO, will that drive line up with my pto on kohler engine? Will all the steering links be same or work from that heavier axle to my box? I sure hope so, looks pretty tough! Would it x-fer if I took the whole cross-member mount off the frame and switched it? The tin and plastic looks better than mine and will be x-fering that. Hope they are not diff with "longer" info I just got about the tractors. Maybe just the hood is diff? Probly be selling the onan or parts, have to see what's there. Portland, IN swapmeet is in May 16 -18, might take it over there and see what goes.