16 replies to this topic

#1 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 11:27 AM

Went shopping this weekend and brought home a Simplicity made tractor.
A previous owner painted "garden mark squire" on it. Looking on the internet - the "garden mark squire" that looks like this is a 725 re-badged by Wards. The seat looks imported from a later model Allis. Is there a way to tell which one I have? If not, I just call it a 725.

IMG-20120311-00145.jpg IMG-20120311-00146.jpg

Hadn't been run in 6 months. At -5C (about 23F), connected a booster pack, put on the choke and it fired right up. Ran like a top - from low to high throttle.

The motor looks original - Briggs engine - model: 19, type:704036, code:632538
(April 1961 - reference: http://www.asecc.com...s/data4.html#19)
From this, I'm guessing the tractor is a 1962. Not sure how much lag time there was between build, ship and sale.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Pretty good looking tractor. I don't think I have heard the name "Garden Mark Squire".

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Here is what I was able to find, The Wards tractor is a lot more rare then the Sim/AC model. There should be a tag somewhere on the tractor tohat says it was was made for M.Wards.

Posted Image

IMPROVED Squire 7¼-HP Riding Tractor

• Big . . . More Powerful Than Ever 7¼-HP, 4-cycle Air Cooled Briggs & Stratton Engine
• Built-In Electric Starter and Generator fox Faster, Easier Starts and Long Battery Life
• Full Automotive Type Transmission . . . 3 Speeds Forward, 1 to 6 MPH, Plus Reverse

1. A Jack of All Trades and Master of Every One of Them! The New Squire with increased horsepower has the ability to make weekend hours really count. Does the work faster and has the ground hugging stability that lets you use full power on all jobs . . . at home, in the field or on the finest lawns. Ideal for truck gardens, golf courses, motels, airports, schools, etc.
Front Wheel Steering. Steers like a car - 3 to 1 ratio gives maneuverability, yet retains the feel of holding true on course. Top speed 6 mph, 2nd 3-3/4 mph, low is 2 mph. Oil-lubricated transmission, anti-friction ball and roller bearings on hardened shafts for smooth operation.
Comfortable Operation - engine blows heat forward, away from driver. Wide seat Is padded with foam rubber. Single pedal clutch and brake control. All controls including choke, are within easy reach. Exclusive gear locking transmission for use when tilling or operating on uneven ground -- holds tractor In gear and utilizes compression of engine as brake.
Electric Starter and Generator. Battery included. Gives fast starts by pressing button on dashboard. Provides power for lights sold. at right too . . . Easy-Lift attachment raises heavy implements on both front and rear mounts with little effort.
Strong inverted channel steel frame. 2-ply diamond tread pneumatic tires on wide rims. 6.00x12 at rear, 4.00x8 at front. Red enamel finish. Shipped from Stock by Freight or Truck.
89 FB 1200 R - Ship. wt. 585 lbs.. Cash $610.00

Same 7¼HP Squire with Rope Starter. Ship. from Fact. near Milwaukee. Allow 15 days, transit time.
89FB 1201 F - Ship. wt. 530 lbs. $28 Mo. Cash $560.00

2. 42-In. Rotary Mower. Cuts up to 2 Acres Per Hour - takes a wide 42-in. swath. Three blades create suction -- lift up grass and hold it for even cut. Works well an tall weeds. Large protected opening minimizes. clogging. Free floating feature gives a velvety cut without scalping. Cuts within 5/8 in. of fences, etc. Adjustable cutting level. Must be used with Power Take-Off Unit on Page 70.
89FB 1268 R - Ship. wt. 138 lbs.....Cash $124.50

Electric Starter, Generator. For (89 FB 1201F) above. Ignition key. Battery incl. Ship. like 89 FB 1201F.
89 FB 1258 F- $5 Mo. Wt. 59 lbs Cash $75.00

Electric Light Kit. Two 12-V sealed beam lights. 1 front, 1 rear. Instructions included.
89 FB 1259 - Ship. -wt. 5 lbs . . . Kit $15.00
Controlled Traction Differential gives power to both rear wheels, even when one is an slippery ground.
Electric Starter, Generator (battery included). Makes starting even easier. Removable ignition key. Choke control.
Easy Lift Lever does away with heavy tool lifting. Changing implements is now easier and faster than ever.

Efficient Power Flow gives full power to all implements whether in the front, center or back of the Squire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Gtractor and motobreeder have said thanks

#4 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Good looking tractor that you picked up. Looks to have been taken pretty good care of.

The identification plate should be on the top rear of the seat pan just under the rear edge of the seat.

According to Simplicity's records, the only model 19 engines that they used had type numbers of 706035 and 706047.

I just noticed that the mower lift lever on the right side of the tractor is attached at the wrong place on the lift arm. Should be mounted on the inside of the lift arm in the hole closest to the lift shaft. I don't see how it could lift the mower deck where it's attached now.

Edited by achomesteader, March 11, 2012 - 02:30 PM.

• motobreeder said thank you

#5 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 04:03 PM

It's always good to know the one you got is the rarer of those made. Sounds like a nice one to do more research on. Congrats.

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi, Greg - I pulled the seat off to look for the serial number - it's gone. I'm going to assume it's the more common 725.

Thanks for pointing out the lift setup - I haven't had a chance to try lifting/lowering the deck.

It's in great shape for a 50 year old tractor.

#7 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:14 AM

Motobreeder, I think you have an early Simplicity 700 judging by the straight shifter and short steering column, I have an early 700 wonderboy and it has those. I think I read on simpletractors that those two things were a first year build thing.

#8 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 08:15 AM

The early production Simplicity 725 had short steering column and straight shifter also.

#9 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I emailed the fellow I purchased it from. It was a Garden Mark Squire before he repainted it.
Too bad the badges are missing - but they may not have been salvageable.
  • trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 10:09 PM

I had been scratching my head for a while, resurching and following this, now that it has been confermed i can rest.

#11 timflury OFFLINE  

timflury

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Very nice and complete Squire there!!

If it's a true model 19, it is an earlier tractor. 1957 was the first year of those. The Model 19d was a 7.25hp engine found in the 725 first made in 1959. Later on, (I'm thinking 1961) Simplicity extended the steering column to aid in removal of the hood.

The deck is a "bolt together" deck. They are very rare. I believe the cut is 36" on those.

That is one rare bear!!

The mower deck is in the lifted position, that's why the arm looks kinda funky on the right side of the machine.

#12 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 12:19 AM

Spent some quality time with the Squire (the wife was away).

Checked the compression - 75lbs. Not sure if that's OK - but it does run OK. Is there an ACR on that small engine?
Put a volt meter on the generator while it was running. The highest I saw was 8v. I think that will need work.
Checked the air filter - it's an oil bath setup. Wasn't expecting that. Looks like it's in good shape.

Thanks to the advice here, I re-attached the deck lift and now the lift mechanism works great.

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 12:26 AM

I would restore it as a M/W Squire if it were mine. They are very rare, and it sounds like you have a very early one. Good Luck !!

#14 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 12:58 AM

I wonder where I can get the emblems for the hood?

The hood was recently painted, but the rest was painted a long time ago. Re-painting it won't reduce it's value.

I might even try replicating the seat. I've found measurements for the cushions - back is 6"x14", seat is 18"x14". Need to figure out the dimensions for the brackets.

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Oil bath air cleaners are the norm for thoses year 19's, Briggs did not go to the element type untill the late 60's early 70's with the bigger single cylinder thumpers. i have a question regarding the engine as so to a avoid a confusing project many people run into with the model 14's, 19's and 23's, have you diven the tractor around ? and how does the engine respond to a load ?

Edited by trowel, March 18, 2012 - 08:26 AM.

• motobreeder and Garden Mark Tractor have said thanks