Rebuild Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robby1276 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8072
  • 10 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:18 AM

So I have a jd 140 and a 110 both of which run my goal is to restore them but I also want to use them pretty much they are going to get dirty at times however I do want them to look good but I'm not going for show piece good

Yesterday I was thinking both of these tractors have set for years maybe I should rebuild the engines just as a precaution you know better to be ahead a little rather than something mess up and make it worse down the road
I consider myself a decent shade tree mechanic most of my experience is messing with cars albeit I have never rebuilt a engine before and honestly afraid if I tear into it I may get in over my head
I was considering doing the 110 first which has a k181 8 hp kohler

I have the info from kohlers website as well

What are some good pointers advice or just general comments that may help. I would like for them to look good run good just hesitant I'm afraid of rebuilding and messing something up and wishing I had never done it but I want the experience

For jdbrian I have not had a chance to adjust my transmission yet I've been using the ole girl a lot as soon as I get the chance to do it I will let you know how it went

#2 tinner OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Robby, rebuilding an engine is like riding a bike and making love, if you never do it, you'll always wish you had and the more you do it the better you get at it. You've got the manuals and people here will be more than happy to help if you have questions.

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 11:13 AM

I haven't rebuilt a small engine since grade 9, but I've done a few chevy small blocks over the years...usually under duress. My two pieces of advice are to take your time and keep things clean. Other than that a good manual, if one is available, is always a good thing. It'll give you the clearances and so on.

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 12:42 PM

You have asked the right questions on the right fourm, right here on GT Talk there are a lot of guys, me included who has rebuilt tractors and engines, im my case, the older, the better.
The Kohler model k 181 is a good engine to start with next to the simpler Briggs model 6 or 8, very well built and sound right to the Carter carb, the JD 110 is also a very well built and simpler GT to start with.
Here are some helpfull links to get the ball rolling :

I know it is a lot to read but it is full of helpfull information and hints from the great guys here on GT Talk.
There are a few things i would like for you to keep in mind, for any and all first restro allway, allways take your time, plan 5 steps ahead and ascertain everything, restros are like what Tinner said '' Like riding a bike and making love'' both of which is fun.
If you do not feel comfortable or is unshure in any way, please post the question, preferably with pic's attached so we can help you as best as we can and remember, this is a fourm of friends with a common hobby, not a business with employees.
I look farwards to your JD restro's and wish you the best of luck.

Here is a K-series manual :

Attached Files

Edited by trowel, March 11, 2012 - 12:48 PM.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 01:03 PM

If you can take photos of anything you are not sure about before you pull it apart, never know when you need them. I have about 250 photos of my Workbird and will probably need everyone of them since it has been close to a year since it was all in one piece.
  • trowel said thank you