Garden Tractor Forums banner

A Friendly Reminder...

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Reverend Blair 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
...from Tecumseh to change your oil & do regular scheduled maintenance.
Tool Wood Auto part Metal Hand tool

The oil hole on this rod was plugged with what used to be oil, but has since turned to goo.

The oil that was in this engine was blacker & nastier than anything I've ever seen before. The PO just said it quit, no idea why... Hmmm, I wonder?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
My brother-in-law used to be that way........just added oil when it needed it. Couldn't understand what was wrong with his truck. When my son got married he brought his new brides car over, it had 49,000 on it and she had never changed the oil. We drained it, flushed it and installed a new filter and oil. Had him drive it for a week and we did another change. It was dirty in just one week. Drove it to 50K and did another change. Thankfully it cleaned up. That's one of the things I stressed to my kids when they started driving.

#7 ·
right before a change let it get hot and pour seafoam in, run the motor with no load for an extra 15 mins change the oil, this will resist build up and keep the passages clean...if the tractor or car is new to you you may want to repeat this once a week for a month or so, this will get all the old crud out of the motor...I swear by seafoam

#11 ·
Yep, even at the ridicules prices we are getting hit with for engine oil its still way easier than rebuilding engines, besides what would I paint my fence posts with if not drain oil, something that would work as good on fence posts would probably be like $26 a gallon !!

Reactions: trowel
#13 ·
Don't tell OSHA but i painted a lot of sheds with it, Way cheaper then today's paint, (latex garbage) just about everything metal i own is painted with boiled linseed oil of wast engine oil.

#14 ·
I recycle most of my used oil. Why not? We pay a fee when we buy oil for the recycling. I do keep some of the old stuff around for lubricating while drilling/cutting, soaking old bolts in (usually mixed with diesel), and burning stumps. Most of my used oil is still relatively clean though, since I change it all once a year in the plethora of small engines around here and at least twice a year in my tractor and riding mower. My truck gets fresh oil every 5,000 kms (3000 miles) which is apparently overkill with the new synthetics. My wife's Hyundai is on the same schedule, but we get that done at an oil-change place because I don't like doing it.

I don't like using oil for posts etc. because a lot of people around here are on wells and it can find its way into the water table easily because ours is pretty high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.