• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CockshuttCollector OFFLINE  

CockshuttCollector
  • Member No: 8969
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Looking for information on the Blackhawk Walk-behind garden tractor made one year only in 1948.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you found us. Who made them, where they built for Cockshutt by some other Co. like their farm tractors? I would love to see one of them.

#3 CockshuttCollector OFFLINE  

CockshuttCollector
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hi, they were built in the USA, and sold by Cockshutt but didn't sell very well, is my understanding so discontinued. I will have a photo of one tomorrow. I am interviewing a fellow who just acquired one.

By the way the Cockshutt 30, 40, 50's and from there up were built in my hometown of Brantford,Ontario Canada by Cockshutt Plow Company. Previous to 1946 they were Olivers and then shipped to Canada to be painted red. You can get more information at www.cockshutt.com . We collect and restore the Cockshutt Tractors made in Brantford. There was a plant in Bellview OHIO as well.

This little garden tractor is quite rare, so I am trying to dig up more research on it. Thanks for your response.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the info, I couldn't remember exactly what the story was. Later in the 60's didn't Oliver, buy up Cockshutt or was that when they formed White.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Here is my Blackhawk. I didn't know they were only made in 1948. They have similarities to the David Bradleys in appearance but everything is slightly different. No clutch - the engine slides on the frame to tighten the belts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Blackhawk.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and CockshuttCollector have said thanks

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Kris, Thanks for posting a photo, that is a good looking tractor. Didn't speedex slide their engines for the clutch also?
  • Gtractor said thank you

#7 CockshuttCollector OFFLINE  

CockshuttCollector
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:40 PM

The company went through a few names during tumultuous times, started as Cockshutt Plow Company, then Cockshutt Farm Equipment, and for awhile they showed the Cockshutt Oliver/Minneapolis logo. They were acquired in a hostile corporate takeover by British Continental on behalf of White Motor Company. White took over and it became White Farm Equipment then the company was sold out eventually closing in 1986. There is a great book called About Cockshutt, that tells the story.

#8 CockshuttCollector OFFLINE  

CockshuttCollector
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Also some good DVD's available at www.canadianindustrialheritage.org

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Kris, Thanks for posting a photo, that is a good looking tractor. Didn't speedex slide their engines for the clutch also?

Yes they did, my model C did.
Thanks for the info on the tractor along with a pic, i do not know much about them but there are guys that may know of were to find more info.
Welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined, that's a neat tractor, you going to restore it ?

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 01:29 AM

Well im not sure where your info is coming from, but its interesting. I own a 47 model/cultivator and did have a 48 model/ sickle mower. There machine were built by National farm Machinery Cooperative, Ohio Cultivator Division, Bellevue Ohio. commonly in the states they are know as the Co-op Blackhawk. Most of the time you find them is PA,OH, MI, and IN as there were sold out of a farmer coop store. I think i posted a brochure in the walk-behind files here for thses tractors. There were at least three differnt models but its hard to tell what the differances are in the reading. Both of mine had Briggs model B engines, but i have a manual here showing them using a model 14 Brigg at a later date.

Your part on the Cockshutt is the second time in the last 6 months i've seen it come up, as there was a flyer on Ebay a while back with the Cockshutt name being used to sell the Blackhawk line of garden tractors. A man from Ohio just last week sent me a picture of one he had recently purchased, without any tooling. The date of the machine is cast into the top rear area of the tranny case, and starts with the yr, (47,48,etc) and then the serial number of the tractor. Its been a long time since i looked at mine and dont recall right now the serial number. I'll try and include a picture of mine here.
  • Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 01:31 AM

004.JPG

Well maybe this time. Oh yes and welcome to the group!!!!!!!!!!
  • MH81 said thank you

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 04:33 AM

CockshuttCollector,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#13 CockshuttCollector OFFLINE  

CockshuttCollector
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thank you DB Restorer,for the information! I wanted to verify if what I had heard about being produced in only one year was true or not. I am researching for an article I am writing about one a fellow near here in Ontario just acquired. Is there somewhere I can go to get the complete information on this? Is there a copy of that parts book or flyer online somewhere? I am leaving here shortly to go meet the fellow. And thanks for all the welcomes! Such nice people - tractor folks! That's for sure.

#14 CockshuttCollector OFFLINE  

CockshuttCollector
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hey I just downloaded, the flyer thanks very much!

#15 dancingfox OFFLINE  

dancingfox
  • Member No: 48105
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hey everyone. I have what an Ohio Cultivator Co. walk-behind garden tractor. It looks quite a bit like the "Blackhawk" but has some differences. It carries the same green as one pictured here (although my paint is original and therefore faded and somewhat stained) but the red is more like orangish-red. Ohio Cultivator Co. was started by Harlow Stahl in the late 1880s-90s. It went out of business for the last time in 1952. O.C.Co. was started and ended in my home town of Bellevue, Ohio. At this time I am still seeking info on it (year, model no., engine h.p. and such) and am in the process of cotating as many people as I can find to learn all I can about it. I am even in conversation with Harlow Stahl (not the same guy causde he would have to be like 123 years old) who is the direct decendant of Harlow the founder. The guy I am chatting with is the grandson of the founder and has some Ohio Cultivator Co. originals as well. I am also talking with a guy who worked for them during teir final year in operation. Sooner or later...I WILL get all my questioned answered. Now....if anyone reading this has some absolute/concrete/undeniable data...I'd like to hear it.
Several times I have been told I have a "Blackhawk" but after seeing the posted photos...I know that is incorrect. So....give me what you can and I'll be happy to add it to my bucket list of information.

Ps. How do I go about placing a photo of mine on here?!?!?

Pps. I just finished "restoring" my yet un-named Ohio Cultivator Co. "walk-behind garden tractor/hand-tractor/???. I didn't paint it . I just gave the ol' girl a super cleaning so I could take it back to where it left off BEFORE I got my mits on it.

Thank YOU!

Paul

Edited by MH81, January 19, 2014 - 10:33 AM.
Removed email

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blackhawk, cockshutt