• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 larphead OFFLINE  

larphead
  • Member No: 8964
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hello all, I was asked by dellwas from www.weldingweb.com to post up pics over here of a recent project I done.

The boss where I work and another coworker both own JD 2305's. I was asked by the boss to build a set of forks to go on the endloader attachment. So the coworker (who just happens to be our machinist and my counterpart) brought his into work. A few days later, some cutting and welding and here is what we came up with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We added a strip of 1/4x1 1/4 down the center of the C channel to add a bit of strength. Stitch welded both sides every 3"

Posted Image

We considered simply adding tabs to have it fit on the 3 point also but since we had the time and material.

Posted Image

The front forks are removable (even with the guard) but the back ones are boxed in place so all you got to do is drop it, pull the pins and drive off.

I used 1/4 wall 2x2 for the frames, 1/4 3" and 6" flatbar for the gussets, 1/4x 1 1/4 flatbar for the guard on the front, and 1/4 4" channel for the forks.

Had our painter shoot some color to the first set today. It is "safety yellow" close enough to JD yellow I guess
:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking and if ya have any questions shoot me a line over at weldingweb. http://weldingweb.co...ead.php?t=96021

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 11:53 PM

1st off :welcometogttalk: Glad you decided to join and add pictures of your project! Great job on the design and Fabrication! I think they came out awesome. I have been wanting to make some for my loader for awhile now, Those pictures will come in handy when I get the time to do it! :thumbs:

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 05:37 AM

larphead,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
Nice fabrication work on those forks,they look great.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Welcome to the forum! Those are nice forks. Now if I had my 3-point ready, I'd make some!

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 08:31 AM

:wave: larphead! Welcome to GTTalk! Glad that you dropped by and added that pics of your project! Great fabrication work on the fork attachment! I'm just wondering if you've figured out the rough capacity on those? With the corner bracing and the rib down the center of the "C" channel, they should be good and sturdy! I couldn't see the underside of the front of the forks in the pics, did you box them in?

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hey there, Welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined, that's well built forks, you strenghtened it in all the right places, top notch welding and fab'in, thanks for showing us the steps and painting of the forks.

#7 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! Thanks for posting some pics those look great.

#8 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 10:33 AM

larphead, welcome. Glad you joined and posted those great pictures. Nice fabrication work. Great looking job.

#9 larphead OFFLINE  

larphead
  • Member No: 8964
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 12:13 PM

:wave: larphead! Welcome to GTTalk! Glad that you dropped by and added that pics of your project! Great fabrication work on the fork attachment! I'm just wondering if you've figured out the rough capacity on those? With the corner bracing and the rib down the center of the "C" channel, they should be good and sturdy! I couldn't see the underside of the front of the forks in the pics, did you box them in?

Thanks for the comments guys,

As for the lifting capacity, the owner says the tractor is rated @ 1000lbs. we picked up a skid that we know weighed 900lbs and the rear tires were just starting to get light and there was no flex in the forks. If you figure the forks weight in at somewhere around 150lbs, they should be fine. That is until he puts a skid of block on the back set for a counter weight and tries to lift his Ford super duty or something.

I considered plating the under side of the forks with some 1/4 x 4" flatbar that I have. Decided against it because it would simply add extra weight, was not really needed, would be another place for dirt/mud/water to collect, and I didnt have enough material to do all 4 forks. I suppose I could have used some 11 gauge sheet and plated the taper back 6" or so. But again We didnt feel it was necessary, and it would be a place for mud to collect if say he was backing up and dragging the forks.
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Welcome to the site! You did an outstanding job building those!

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'm assuming that you used 4" x 4.5# Channel? If so, that should be plenty strong enough for 1000#.

Only thing I might have done different would to have been using some T-Stock if you had some available for the stiffening, and cap the ends of the 2" Sq x 1/4" tube to help keep it from rusting on the inside..

I've also seen rectangular tube used pretty successfully for light duty forks as well.

Still, a danged nice Fab.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 10, 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that it would be around 1000# capacity. They look great and they'll serve your Boss well!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2305, homemade, forks