• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi all, I got this JD stx38 from an old man yesterday that also gave me an old EDKO 2 wheeler a while back that I just recently restored. I have now turned my attention to fixing this JD. Seems it took a nose dive off the back of a pickup truck. I fixed the frame, welded the muffler back together...saved me around $70.... Working on getting the Kohler 13 running again. I have interest in getting a hood for it since it was destroyed in the endo...lol... I looked to Ebay, ya they have them but man... close to $200+! I am not looking to break the bank...lol...any ideas on a cheap one would be nice... I posted some pictures... it has sat for quite a few years under & inside some bushes next to a barn & is very crusty looking. I cleaned some of it up & it came out nice. I know the motor will run again once I bypass jump the safety switches. The old man told me it ran good when he parked it...I put a battery to it & it turned over fine, just no spark... probably the seat safety switch or one of the others... no worries on that. Hope to have it running as soon as I clean the fuel system & carb.... A hood would be nice...GEDC0524.JPG GEDC0525.JPG GEDC0526.JPG GEDC0527.JPG

#2 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 243 Thanks
  • 468 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Good luck on finding a cheap one. :( I had the same model for years and mowed without the hood. Never did come across a good used one cheap. No longer have the mower. Have fun hunting :mecry:
  • howard H said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 6,360 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Good luck looking for that hood. For free, I'd use it without and wait and see what comes by. You got the tractor free, maybe a hood will come by for free too. Thanks for posting the pictures.

#4 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:18 PM

If I can't find one, I can always use the sheet metal shop to build one. Still thinking on making a racing tractor out of it & there is lots of modified parts to make. I have several lawn tractors to use to mow the lawns. I even use one as a bush hog to keep the grass around the edge of the pasture mowed down...lol

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:19 PM

The hood story on those is a sad one and your best shot is to keep your eyes open-maybe even improvise with one from a 170 (fiberglass) or as Dave says just mow without it. I say, if the neighbors laugh , just tie on a trash can or one of the kids' stuffed animals. :dancingbanana:

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 05:31 AM

Free is always good.Hope you can find a hood for it.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,591 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Those were pretty popular mowers but the hood was a weak spot so it may be a long time to find one. Someone else mentioned getting a hood from a 170. You may be able to find something else that you can adapt to fit even if it's not green!

#8 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 11:31 PM

I worked on it today, cleaned the carb & fuel system, not sure if the carb is going to be any good though since it was pretty bad from the old gas. Unhooked the kill wire & still no spark. checked the ohms & pretty much nothing so the module needs replaced... not going to go any further with it. Decided to just sell it for parts & let it be someone else project... not worth it to me to soak any money into it... figure $50 will work...lol...

#9 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Still got the Deere but I did find a compatible hood from a rider I got today for the motor I blew yesterday on my other rider. The hood is from a snapper riding mower. It is red, sporty looking. I just need to make some hinge brackets to mount it. It actually fits pretty well.... hope for this Deere yet.... now it will be called a snap-Deere....lol... I found an ignition module for the Kohler & will get it Saturday. Found a great big bone yard about 20 miles away.... no Deere stuff but he has the ignition module for $10.... much better than spending $50... I have faith that the motor will run just fine...carb may be iffy but I can deal with that when the time comes...

Edited by howard H, March 14, 2012 - 06:41 PM.