Garden Tractor Forums banner

46 Bean Cutler-7

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Texas Deere and Horse 
#1 ·
The paint is dry and it's time to put the mowers back together.
The tires fit tight enough that the rims have to be forced into the tire with a rubber hammer.
I got some large plastic hole plugs off ebay to fit into the center hole on the rims.

Here is the finished mower mounted back on the tractor.

The lift control is set so it only raises the mower about 1-1/2 inch off the ground.
With the mower mounted in-between the rear wheels, it is going to ride up and down the same as the rear wheels do so I didn't figure it needed very much extra clearance.
At this lift height, the foot pads on the tool bar are even with the original foot rest on the tractor.

There are two stops clamped on the notches of the lift gauge to control how high and low the tool bar can move.

One of the rear mower units.

With all the mowers put back together, I figured that I was finished with them and then I got to thinking about them setting on display at the tractor shows.
There are always some little kids at the shows and there is always the risk of one of them slipping and falling down.
The blades on the reels have a flat edge on them and aren't really sharp enough to cut someone but a little hand could still get banged up pretty good if it got jammed down into the blades.

So with that in mind, I've decided to make a cover that will fit across the top of each mower unit.
I have this sheet of galvanized steel that the covers will be made out of.

See less See more
#10 ·
Looking good Ray, great idear with the covers making the reels child proof, are you going to paint them green too ?, i can visualize red pinstripping on the reels much like Locke did with their mowers.

Reactions: jdcrawler
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ray, great idear with the covers making the reels child proof, are you going to paint them green too ?, i can visualize red pinstripping on the reels much like Locke did with their mowers.
I'm planing on just leaving them the natural galvanized finish.

Reactions: trowel
#11 ·
As usual Ray, top notch work. Those mowers look terrific. Too bad you need covers, but it's no doubt the right thing to do.

Parents will be standing in a trance, looking at the great work and kids will just have to touch it.

#15 ·
As usual Ray very nice work! Good thought on the covers, the way things are now a days a guy cant be too careful.

#16 ·
Nice addition of the covers. This will look very nice at the shows. Great job, Ray!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Checking the fit before I do any forming and bending.

Rolling a step pattern into the panel so the center is about 1/8 higher than the rest of the panel.

All three panels are rolled.

Next is to bend the front and rear edges.
This is the front edge and it is formed in three bends so it rolls around and under the front support rod on the mower.
The other edge just has one bend and that edge only comes down to about the center of the rear support rod.

The covers are mounted on the mowers and the tab is bent down on each side.
A hole is drilled and tapped and a machine screw holds the tab down on each side.

Here's the cover on the mower unit on the tractor.

#18 ·
Boy, you make that look so easy! They look great on there. Thanks, Ray!

#21 ·
I just knew the cover would look good on there.Looks just like something the factory should have build.

#26 ·
Are there different dies for the slip roll to make the radius?
It's all done with the same dies.
I just rotate the panel around as I roll it to form the raised edge around the radius on the ends of the pattern.

Reactions: caseguy and trowel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.