10 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:09 PM

here are a few picks of my h14 along its life the first pic is what it would look like day one in the 70s hope you dont mind me using your pics 1000 H-16.jpg
now here it is just after being picked up from the scrap yard i payed $75 for it and it was a 75 dollar tractor at that point how ever it had a u joint and mower deck linkages on it and it was sitting for 10+ years and there was a TREE growing from inside the TIRE IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0623.JPG
then i tryed to bring the Tecumseh motor back to life it ran but like crap so i tryed to rebuild the carb 3 times it was rusted bad and there was corrosion in the idle circuit so it would not idle it was $100+ for a carb and no small engine shop would clean it one day i got it going good so i got the rear seal fixed and the old pulley off put it back to geither it was running fine then it started knocking really bad and would run at max throttle so after some F-bombs i found out that the butter fly valve on the carb fell off and the screws got sucked into the cylinder so i called a friend and he wanted the motor and he had a briggs from my 750 a briggs from my g10 and a briggs from a 853 so i swapped him i put the 10 hp briggs in but the tractor still needed more power so one day i was driving my 1254 home from mowing a lawn and i seen a berco snow blower and i pulled in to the guys drive way i talked to him and asked what the blower was on he sayed a craftsman gt it had a kohler twin with a blown trany so i called friend and tryed to swap him for a onan engine he sayed he cant but he had a Briggs 16 hp twin so i sayed you deliver the engine and pick up the tractor up its a deal i repowered my h14 with a briggs twin well the thing with the bolens tube frame tractors is there compact and they only had a single cyl engine it was like putting a square peg in a round hole the biggest thing was putting a fuel tank in that could sustain that engine for at least 4 hrs at full throttle (i snow plow / snow blow people drive ways/ i had to cut the tool box to make it work i have now up graded it after the seat pan bent to heck then i had to drill new holes in the frame and the flat bar in the frame interfered so i just thru that out .. WELL DONT my frame got squashed and it cracked then the engine pulley / crank shaft ordeal the engine is 1.000 also the and the pulley of the h14 is 1.125 so i used some fence pipe to fix that i would of used a pulley off something like a 1050 but did not have one belts where a pain DONT USE JASON BELTS then the trick of the charging system the briggs had a duel circuit thing .... TOTAL JUNK the battery would die the lights where dim so i got a regulator and rewound a stator to work as a 10 amp regulated system it would only charge at 4 amps max so i ordered a used stator and regulator off of ebay and i only get a whopping 3.5 amps so i read something about LOW MAGNETIC FLUX and i emailed briggs and the technician had NEVER HEARD OF SUCH THING so i was on the hunt for fly wheel i found one last week with all the tin for $10 and it charges at 10 amps and its a turbo cooler PLANED UP GRADES
up grade hydrulics ie up front wet line 2 sets so if if i get around to the loader project /oil cooller/power stering
electrical led head lights led runing lights and flashers and a hour meter
then like any thing else i had it needs some paint an body work

now here are some more picks IMG_0732.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0242.JPG
cheers
8tyman8
youtube.com/8tyman8
  • bgkid2966 and goodnews have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Grats! Sounds and looks like one heck of a Beast! Good luck with it! :thumbs:

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:13 AM

That's gonna be some tractor when you're finished with it.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Wow I cant believe you were able to get the hood on with that engine in there !
As for belts, You really need to buy a good set of kevlar belts. Belts you buy at places like tractor supply and NAPA are usually FHP belts which means they are rated for fractional HP applications and cannot withstand the abuse.

There is a guy on ebay that sells the blue Kevlar drive belts (1736259) belts for a reasonable price. I think they are in matched sets as well. I was even able to find kevlar replacement PTO belts (1716570) that are the true 421/2'' long.

#5 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:22 AM

wow i would have to say you are dedcated and persistent man but the end results was rewarding good job !!!!!!!!
John 3:16 :thumbs:

#6 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:25 AM

good morning to all i'mstill high bider on the carb @ 35.00 10 more hrs. :thumbs:

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:48 AM

good morning to all i'mstill high bider on the carb @ 35.00 10 more hrs. :thumbs:

Good Luck
If you dont win that one there's another carb on there for the starting bid of $35... It looks to be in rough condition though...
  • goodnews said thank you

#8 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:59 AM

yes doc i saw that one 10/4 on the rough :thumbs:

#9 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:02 AM

this is a day the Lord has made rejoice and be glad in it :thumbs:

#10 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Wow I cant believe you were able to get the hood on with that engine in there !
As for belts, You really need to buy a good set of kevlar belts. Belts you buy at places like tractor supply and NAPA are usually FHP belts which means they are rated for fractional HP applications and cannot withstand the abuse.

There is a guy on ebay that sells the blue Kevlar drive belts (1736259) belts for a reasonable price. I think they are in matched sets as well. I was even able to find kevlar replacement PTO belts (1716570) that are the true 421/2'' long.

yeh i had kevlar jason belts ordered thru a drive line place i have not like the jason ones i got the good year insta power belts and there high quality just a bit more money $13 vs $10 and there rated for 20 hp a belt and the hood is modified there is a piece of 1x1'' square tubing bolted in be-twine the hood hinge and the front axle also the hood was cut then bent and the dash was moved up 1/2'' and i had to pound the grill out to up grade the fly wheel i did not want to do that but it was the only option thanks for the comment
cheers 8tyman8

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:32 PM

also may i add i needed to make wheel spacers to let me put tire chains to clear the fuel tank on the spacers are 1.6" long and 1" diam also they are held on by 2.5" 7/16 nf grd 8 bolts