6 replies to this topic

#1 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have a 70 Ford 100 that has a transmission problem anybody out there know anything about them? If I put it in Granny gear I have to remove the shifting lever and take a screwdriver to align the gears so it will roll. When I use 2nd or 3rd gear it sounds like it is partily in 2 gears and clatters. It also jumps out of reverse.4th gear works, but is noisey. Someone said the shifting fork is missing. Anybody know where I can get the parts I need and instructions of how to install them. Thanks AL

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Sounds like the shifter is not moving, holding the gears in the proper place for them to work.
Are the detents working?
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I haven't ripped one apart yet,But I have 2 of those trans. The one on my 100 is excellent the one on the parts tractor I noticed shifts very hard. I think I remember seeing somewhere that there is a roll pin or something that can shear on the forks and cause this. not sure but I will see what makes it tick. Who knows maybe someone else on here has had same issue? I also came across a service manual that had everything in detail about checking and rebuilding these, now I have to remember where I saw that ( to many fires burning at one time) I'll be back soon, going to do some checking.

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Well It is not the same book but on here there is a good one also. go to Manuals up top, then click Transmission manuals, you will find one in the list that says Tecumseh/peerless 2300 series repair manual. there is also a parts manual above this one. Download both of them. I flipped through the repair one quick, You will like that one! it has pictures and detailed steps for rebuilding. good luck and happy reading :thumbs:

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 08:11 PM

I found better one yet. In our manuals section there is a Tecumseh technicians hand book. that is same as the other repair manual but more pages. On page 119 you will see a great picture of the shift forks and shafts, it also goes into depth about what would cause certain problems.

#6 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I found better one yet. In our manuals section there is a Tecumseh technicians hand book. that is same as the other repair manual but more pages. On page 119 you will see a great picture of the shift forks and shafts, it also goes into depth about what would cause certain problems.

i have downloaded the manuals and will take time to study them. Thank you for all the help. The tranny is the main thing left to make this a very nice lil tractor.

#7 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:14 PM

There are to little springs that brake which does not allow the little ball will not stay in detent grove of the shifter rail.I hope this helps.later Josh