3 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:42 PM

im am starting to put my 3hp project together and when i put the top of the starter clutch on (the part that catches on the pull start). it doesnt wanta go on and if i do get it on it will not spin freely. IDK whats going on. this clutch came from this engine and everything. I need help

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Have you looked for parts diagrams on the B and S site. I'm not familiar with them myself.

#3 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:28 PM

If you used a hammer at all to get the flywheel off the crankshaft is probably boogered. Take a flat file and try to true it up and see if that helps. Don't forget to slap a little grease on the shaft once it does turn freely to prevent the squeel and rope upchuck.

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 08:42 PM

If you used a hammer at all to get the flywheel off the crankshaft is probably boogered. Take a flat file and try to true it up and see if that helps. Don't forget to slap a little grease on the shaft once it does turn freely to prevent the squeel and rope upchuck.

Ditto, carefully making shure it is filed round.
And make shure the spring is wound up the right way or the tab at the end of the spring did not snap off.
While off the engine's cooling showd pull on the starter handle to check the recoil making shure it recoils all the way and strongly too, if the recoil just spins freely after it is mounted on the crank and does not catch the 6 balls in the starter clutch is stuck, spin off the clutch and remove the cover carfully with out dropping the balls and clean out the clutch and balls untill there are no grease or dirt, spin on the clutch, tighten and a little grease at the end of the square recoil bar.

Edited by trowel, March 07, 2012 - 08:42 PM.